HW: Hawkwind in New Zealand

Stephan Spiegel spiegel at INTPLSRV.NET
Thu Feb 17 12:55:50 EST 2000

> It's not that some people handle it better...some people think that they
> handle it better.

OK, I guess you know me better than I do.

Here's a nice little story....

    When I was in the Air Force there was a Party House my friends rented,
out in the country, and every night was a party.  One night I got so wasted,
(mostly booze), that I had gone outside around the side of the house to take
a leak.  Well, I finished up, started to turn around, and "TIMBER" over I
fell.  Well I tried to stand up, and it was no use.  The `ol legs said no
way.  I started laughing at myself, as I had never in my life got so drunk.
I think we were drinking these drinks called "Jelly Beans".  So I thought to
myself, "well I'm too wasted to party any more, I guess I'll drive back to
the base and go to sleep".  Call it a night.  So for the next 10-15 minutes,
I crawled along the ground to get to my car.  Well, I got to my car, reached
up, unlocked the door, and used the steering wheel to pull myself up into
the drivers seat.  I dropped a few drops of "eye drops" in my eyes to clear
them up a little, and started up the `ol Chevette.  Drove 10 miles along
some country roads and then on to a 2 lane 55mph highway.  I was doing
pretty good too.  I was in my lane, never swerved and held the speed limit
perfectly.  Got to the base.  Pulled up to the gate guard and show him my ID
as he stood about 3-4 feet away, looking at my ID and me.  Then proceeded to
drive the 3 miles on the cop-infested base to my barracks.  By the time I
got to the parking lot, I totally forgot the last time I tried to walk I
couldn't, but was able to when I got out of the car.  Another perfect
mission.  I probably was 3-4 times over the legal limit.

So don't tell me what I can and can't do.  That's my BEST story....There are
many more almost as good.

Oh yeah, I was in an accident last year.  A idiot ran a Red Light in town
here, and hit the rear on my van while I was going through the intersection.
He was sober and not paying attention to the speed limit or the red light he
had.  If I was 2 seconds slower in going through the intersection, I could
very well have been killed, since it was my side of the van he hit.  He was
doing about 40 mph.  Ignorance kills just as well.  But you don't see anyone
in Jail for that.

Hawkman