MP3

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Fri Feb 18 09:12:57 EST 2000

On Fri, 18 Feb 2000, linuxchaos wrote:

=> So which do you want?
=>
=> Cliff & Pam Wheaton wrote:
=>
=> > you're making me drool. :) :) I'm short SEVERAL Hawkdiscs for my
=> > Kollection!!
=> > Pam
=> >
=> > linuxchaos wrote:
=> >
=> > > So I'm staying up night after night putting albums on MP3. I rip them at
=> > > 64kbps and that way (CD quality) we can fit 30+ albums per each CD.
=> > >
=> > > I put my 120 Hawk albums on mp3 do you think we should swap them?
=> > > I buy all Hawkwind and related releases (lucky for me eh?) I think that
=> > > between us it should be ok as a lot of these are deleted etc.
=> > >
=> > > The end of the music business?

Um... aren't you supposed to be at least a little bit discreet when
doing this sort of thing?  I mean, it must be a bit of a poke in the eye
when you read a mailing list where folks are openly swapping your
officially released product.  (Yes, Hawkwind do---leastways Kris Tait
does---appear to read/post to this mailing list.)  I mean, you are
talking about *official releases*, not live audience recordings, here.
(It's one thing to "beat the boots," but entirely another to "rob the
retirement plan.";)

In future, I suggest you spare their feelings and arrange this
apparently "ok"/"between us" free redistribution of their back catalogue
via PRIVATE e-mail.

Lastly, just what is your definition of "CD quality?"  At 64 Kb/s, you
must have one hell of a lousy CD player... >;-)

Cheers,

Paul.

NP: Frank Zappa, _Shut Up 'N' Play Yer Guitar_

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa