MP3

Sprawl sprawl at STARPOWER.NET
Fri Feb 18 14:01:25 EST 2000

-----Original Message-----
From: linuxchaos <linuxchaos at NETSCAPEONLINE.CO.UK>
To: Multiple recipients of list BOC-L <BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU>
Date: Friday, February 18, 2000 2:36 AM
Subject: MP3

>So I'm staying up night after night putting albums on MP3. I rip them at
>64kbps and that way (CD quality) we can fit 30+ albums per each CD.

64kbps doesn't approach CD quality.  128kbps (which is LISTED as CD
quality,)
really isn't either.  A recent rip of agents of fortune at 128kbps totally
destroyed
the high-hats, etc.  A re-rip at 160 was much better.

>I put my 120 Hawk albums on mp3 do you think we should swap them?
>I buy all Hawkwind and related releases (lucky for me eh?) I think that
>between us it should be ok as a lot of these are deleted etc.
>
>The end of the music business?

Not even close.  But perhaps the end of buying 6 to 12 track CD's to get the
ONE
track that one might actually find interesting.

Hey trading a song or two here and there is one thing.  When you start
dealing in
full albums or even -libraries-, you are asking for trouble, IMO.

RJ