MP3

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Fri Feb 18 17:21:47 EST 2000

RJ spake...

>>So I'm staying up night after night putting albums on MP3. I rip them at
>>64kbps and that way (CD quality) we can fit 30+ albums per each CD.
>
>64kbps doesn't approach CD quality.  128kbps (which is LISTED as CD
>quality,)
>really isn't either.  A recent rip of agents of fortune at 128kbps totally
>destroyed
>the high-hats, etc.  A re-rip at 160 was much better.
>
>>I put my 120 Hawk albums on mp3 do you think we should swap them?
>>I buy all Hawkwind and related releases (lucky for me eh?) I think that
>>between us it should be ok as a lot of these are deleted etc.
>>
>>The end of the music business?
>
>Not even close.  But perhaps the end of buying 6 to 12 track CD's to get the
>ONE track that one might actually find interesting.
>
>Hey trading a song or two here and there is one thing.  When you start
>dealing in full albums or even -libraries-, you are asking for trouble, IMO.

Well, this just appeared on another list, so maybe the trouble is now starting?

I really have no comment on the topic, as I have no knowledge of the
technology...my computer don't play music, and it's not even my computer.
http://www.live365.com/cgi-bin/directory.cgi?current=0&genre=Top&maxspeed=25
6&searchdesc=hawkwind&BitrateListBox=256

For the broadcast of over 100 Hawkwind songs, streamed to you 24 hours a day...
Enjoy at home or at work....

Just make sure you have at least a 56K connection...

You'll hear the good ol songs you've grown to love, and some surprises here
and there...