OFF: smoking etc.

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Mon Feb 21 11:24:26 EST 2000

Nick English writes:

> As the father of a 4-year-old, I generally tend to look at things
> from the perspective of what I want my son getting involved with and
> what I don't. In that sense, tobacco, alcohol and the "illegals" are
> all taboo.

Indeed, and the Prohibitionists often tell us that their excesses are
excused by the need to Prooootect the Chilruuun, missing the point that
in Prohibition these substances are functionally uncontrolled and their
distribution handed to criminals rather than controlled and their
distribution handled by retailers who have a profitable licence to lose
if they sell to children.

But then logic never seems to have been a strong suit.

FoFP