OFF: smoking etc.

Sprawl sprawl at STARPOWER.NET
Mon Feb 21 13:55:36 EST 2000

I took my first drugs for one reason, and one reason only.
Because all I heard about them were lies.

I was told I would have wild halucinations.  I have never had a single one,
despite deliberate over-doses, and various salads and soups.

I know they exist.   But usually (at least from what I have experienced,)
any
hallucinations one might experience will come from sleep deprivation
complicated
by vitamin deficiencies, or from psycholigical circumstances that pre-exist-
and are amplified and/or twisted by the substance.

Then there is the other kind of hallucination where one imagines situations,
rather than
-things- that aren't there.   That one, I'm sure I have known.

Damnit.   I wanted to see the friggin' pink elephant.  Who do I sue for the
false advertisements?

;)

RJ

On 21 Feb 00, at 16:24, M Holmes wrote:

> Nick English writes:
>
> > As the father of a 4-year-old, I generally tend to look at things
> > from the perspective of what I want my son getting involved with and
> > what I don't. In that sense, tobacco, alcohol and the "illegals" are
> > all taboo.
>
> Indeed, and the Prohibitionists often tell us that their excesses are
> excused by the need to Prooootect the Chilruuun, missing the point
> that in Prohibition these substances are functionally uncontrolled and
> their distribution handed to criminals rather than controlled and
> their distribution handled by retailers who have a profitable licence
> to lose if they sell to children.

Absolutely, goddamned right!  It's always the parents who expect the
government to help them raise their kids.  If parents are providing
such a sterling example, then, theoretically, the children will be
repulsed by the very mention of the word 'drugs' or alcohol etc.

We cannot have a perfect society.  Certain people will want the
freedom to make their own choices, and others will always presume
to know what's best for society in general.  And never the twain will
meet...

theo