OFF: Dark Star & High Rise

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Tue Feb 22 14:33:05 EST 2000

On Mon, 21 Feb 2000 11:19:16 -0500, K Henderson <henderson.120 at OSU.EDU> wrote:
>I also saw that High Rise, the Japanese group is touring the US.  I haven't
>actually heard these guys, but imagine there are some fans here.

HIGH RISE are abso-fuggin'-lutely incredible, if you ask me.  One of the
most throroughly BLANGA bands that's ever existed.  MC5/Spacemen 3 isn't a
bad comparison, and they're huge Stooges & Blue Cheer fans, too.  If you're
into pounding fuzzed-out two-chord riffs overlayed with thick wah-wah
guitar, you don't want to miss this band!

>March
>10th/ Tokyo to Seattle(flight)
>          Seattle/Graceland(night/live)
>11th/ Seattle to Minneapolis (flight)
>          Minneapolis/400bar (night/live)
>12th/ Minneapolis to Boston (flight)
>         Boston/middle east (night/live)
>13th/ Massachusetts/Flywheel(night/live)
>14th/ New York / Mercury Lounge (night/live)
>15th/ Philadelphia / KHYBER PASS (night/live)
>16th/ Philadelphia to Washington to Austin (flight)
>          Texas / Austin Festival ( live )
>17th / Austin to Los Angeles (flight)
>          Loa Angeles/Silverlake Lounge (night/live)

The Bay Area dates listed below have been recently revised ...

>18th / Los Angeles to San Francisco (flight)
>           San Francisco/ Bottom of the Hill(night/live)
>20th or 21th/San Francisco/Cocodrie(night/live)

The correct information:
saturday, March 18 / San Jose, Channel One w/Liquorball
sunday, March 19 / possible KFJC broadcast

the following two dates are by Okami No Jikan, a High Rise spinoff band who
are more psychedelic and laid back, less blanga than High Rise:
monday, March 20 / KDVS broadcast
tuesday, March 21 / San Francisco, Cocodrie w/Mystic Sensorium, Nanjo
Asahito (solo), Liquorball

I don't know anything about Mystic Sensorium, but Nanjo Asahito is the
bassist/singer/leader of High Rise and Okami No Jikan.  Pay close attention
to those initials if you own one of the first hundred copies of the vinyl
edition of the 'Assassins of Silence' Hawkwind tribute.

I'll be guesting with Liquorball at both shows, making the public
performance debut of my Wiard modular analog synthesizer (designed by Grant
Richter of F/i).  Even without the sound, the lightshow on that machine rules!

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com