HW: Ridicule/PDO

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Fri Feb 25 11:29:28 EST 2000

>Looks like PDO is a small-time disc mfg that had something odd going
>on in their process.....
>
>scorch

I learned about this from the Dovetail Ozrics CDs which are PDO.  My
(original) copy of Pungent Effulgent became unreadable a few years' back.
Strangely, it doesn't appear 'bronzed' (as in the photo at:
http://www.hyperion-records.co.uk/bronzed.html), but I was confused by the
coloration that was used (and not part of the problem, as below).  However,
I can only assume though that it is a related problem.  Actually I never
went through the process of asking for a replacement, as I found a cheap
used copy which for the moment is still readable.  But you should check your
Ozrics' CDs to see which are PDO and whether they show signs of deterioration.

Keith H. (FAA)

P.S.  There are several websites on this topic, one that explains in more
detail what happens, is http://www.soleilmoon.com/catalog/rot.html

Bronzed CDs

A note about corroding CDs manufactured by Philips & Du Pont Optical
UK Ltd (PDO):

The pressing factory PDO has acknowledged responsibility for producing
some CDs between 1988 and 1993 using a lacquer which was not suitable to
withstand the corrosive effect of the sulphur content of paper used in the
printing of CD booklets and other paper parts. The problem has been
extremely disruptive to us and has caused much embarrassment. We can
only apologise for any alarm and inconvenience caused and assure you of our
commitment to your satisfaction.

The symptoms of the corrosion are obvious. Audibly it manifests first
towards the end of the disc (i.e. the outer edge) and sounds not unlike
rhythmic LP surface noise. Visibly it manifests as a coppery-bronze
discoloration, usually on the edge of the label side of the disc. (NB. It is
NOT the overall yellow tint which is common to all PDO pressings. This is
due to the addition of a tiny amount
of yellow dye which PDO adds to the polycarbonate for cosmetic purposes.)

At the time that PDO were manufacturing the affected CDs for us, they were
also pressing for other classical labels and we suggest that you check any
discs you have from ASV, Unicorn-Kanchana, Pearl, DGG, IMP, Decca and
Collins. Given the nature of the problem of corrosion, in that it progresses
over time, we recommend that you check any suspect discs on, say, a
six-monthly basis.  The name of the disc manufacturer is usually (but not
always) engraved around the centre hole of the disc in the transparent area.
If there is no manufacturer's name shown at all then it would be worth
checking with PDO. They have agreed to replace any CDs which are corroding
as a result of the defect. If you have reason to believe that there are
discs in your collection made by PDO which are showing signs of corrosion,
contact PDO directly.

Contacting PDO

UK CUSTOMERS should use either PDO's FREEPHONE helpline or FREEPOST address,
both of which have been set up to deal with complaints and enquiries about
bronzing:

PDO Discs Ltd
Helpline
FREEPOST
BK1080
Blackburn BB1 5BR

FREEPHONE 0800 387063

Fax: 0 1254 54729
Telephone: 0 1254 50 53 54

OVERSEAS CUSTOMERS
cannot use the FREEPHONE or
FREEPOST address, but should
contact PDO at the address below:

Philips & Du Pont Optical
UK Ltd
Philips Road
Blackburn
Lancashire BB1 5RZ
England

Fax: 44 1254 54729
Telephone: +44 0 1254 50
53 54

PDO also has an e-mail address dedicated to this problem:
patburnshelpline at compuserve.com

Customers should NOT return faulty discs to dealers, distributors, or to
Hyperion. They can, if they wish, return the disc to PDO but it is not
necessary. Initially at least, just a letter will do. If they do return any
CDs they should send JUST THE DISC, NOT THE JEWEL CASE OR PRINTED MATTER,
because PDO will replace only the disc.

Although PDO have agreed to replace corroded CDs on our behalf, we are aware
of our responsibilities to our customers and wish to reassure them that we
are committed to seeing that they are ultimately satisfied with our
products. Should you feel that you are not being treated efficiently by PDO,
then please do not hesitate to get in touch with us directly.

Richard Howard
Production Manager
Hyperion Records Limited, London
December 1999