HW: Studio 22 & The Metro

Lawrence, Marty [IBM GSA] MLawrenc at VITGDTS1.TELSTRA.COM.AU
Sun Feb 27 18:26:00 EST 2000

Well,what can I add except a fine time was had by all.

Studio 22

It was like Hawkwind in your living room,after the intro's from the
presenter the band was introduced to huge applause,and
dave & harvey seemed quite taken aback.
Seeing the band in a circle was a bit strange ,but I guess they are used to
it with rehearsals,with them as follows :-

        Harvey  Richard Dave
        Jerry   Simon   Steve

The set list was as Paul/Anthony have said ,but there was abit from
Interstellar Chaos before Freefall.
Harvey and Dave had a few laughs together and it was funny to see dave get
the lyric book out for
Love in Space and Silver Machine.There were a couple of problems and Dave
mentioned there had been a few
mistakes.Richard then stood up and admitted he had the wrong speed for the
drum pattern or whatever.
They played really well,and sitting on the floor next to jerry,watching him
play he is a fine guitarist and a
fantastic addition to the band.
Couldn't quite hear what simon was playing,and harvey was using lots of dats
with each song.
Steve seemed to be enjoying himself,but was very focused.
Dave disappeared for freefall and then came back for the shortened version
of Brainstorm.
I will be interesting to see if the aired version and the for sale version
of the shows will be different.

The Metro

To see Hawkwind play to a decent crowd is a joy to see,and lets hope that
they will return next year,the promoter indicated that
they intend to come back next year and definitely play Melbourne.
They came on to pleny of applause and went straight into Right Stuff,Coded
was next but there were a few problems,one being
steve had left the stage and his bass was feeding back.Harvey was obviously
having problems and when dave asked
replied my Midi is playing up.Motorway city was next but with repeated
verses so a bit longer I guess.
A&B/Golden Void was next this ended and then they went into the new"techno
ending"
Memory of the set abit amiss,but Forge of vulcan was there,and Assasins was
fantastic,for the first time ,someone realised
that the violin needs to be turned up for this song,after a lengthy bit of
playing by simon they went into the track,sung by HARVEY
this led into Space etc.They announced "we going to utopia,but this broke
into the highlight of the show for me Spirit of the Age,
dave's vocals really worked , very different to Live 79.Utopia was then
played,with a bit of levitation in there.
Freefall was next with a bit from  "interstellar chaos" before the track,and
Jerry sung/chanted something over this,
Brainstorm was as hectic as ever with Sonic attack in between,then it was
goodnight.
They came back on stage and went straight into ejection,which followed into
gremlin and then welcome,and that was it.
I think most of the audience was stunned,they had actually seen Hawkwind
play in Australia
Having seen the band for the first time in 8 years,it was a wondefull
experience,and I envy you all in the UK,that can see them
3 or 4 times in a tour.

Marty