HW: Equipment (was Re: HW:Theremin)

dhuggins dhuggins at HYPERNOVA.NET
Sat Jan 1 13:46:48 EST 2000

Doug,

        Thanks for your really informative post,  I was always curious.

        This topic does bring to mind something that has always got my interest:
How have the Hawks produced their distinctive Hawkwind sounds?  I don't
have a complete list of them (I would need to go through each song just
about and point them out).  Some of it is equipment (audio
generator/arppegiator) and some is technique.  Is there a
complete/semi-complete list of equipment that the Hawks have used over the
years, including instruments AND effects (maybe even indexed to
year(s)/tour/album)?  Maybe our distinguished listee XXX could help
enlighten us too :)

        Inquiring minds want to know,

                                                Dave

        istortion unit), but it has been many years.  If
it is just connectors, thats fine.  If it is components (ICs, resistors,
capicators, etc), I get a little wary of accidentaly frying the components,
have done that before!

        The prices listed now are $299 US for a kit, and $369 US for a finished one.

        By the way, have you done music that you would care to share?  I don't
yet, but probably will in the future.

                                Dave
robably will in the future. =20

                                Dave

At 01:39 PM 1/1/00 +0100, you wrote:=20

> hei!
> having had a nice celebration?
> the etherwave has imo a great sound, and can be used for everything from
> DikMik
> noises to beautifully resembling a cello... i love this instrument.
> it is said it closely resembles leo theremin's original sound. i find it
> quite
> "easy" to play - that is; each note is "separated" with the same=
 intervals.
> that,
> i guess, is the most important.
> the etherwave DIY version is not-all-all- hard to put together (and it=
 cuts
> off a
> third of the costs if i don't remember wrongly) - it's just connecting=
 cables
> and
> maybe finishing the casing (i had a guy making a piano shellac finish to=
 it -
> making it look a bit more old ;)
> the cabling and print card etc. looks VERY sturdy - no cheap components=
 being
> used
> here!
> this is how it looked like, before having it finished, brown-wood piano
> style:
>
> [Image]
>
> it takes some practice to play it (and no coffee! no shaking!), but it's
> worth
> it...!
> right now i'm dreaming of a VCS3  :)
>
> i bought, just for fun, a small single-antenna theremin while in london a=
 few
> weeks back. it's battery operated, and almost impossible to play on - but=
 is
> great
> for sfx combined with various sound effects :)
>
> have a great year,
> ketil svendsen,
> norway
>

> dhuggins wrote:
>
> > Ketil,
> >
> >         I put up the original theremin post that started this thread.  I
> ran
> > across one for sale at an "unusual instruments" website, and didn't know
> > what one was.  I now know a little bit more :)
> >
> >         You say you personally recommend Big Briars Etherwave Theremin? =
 Do