Y3.72K

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Wed Jan 5 17:54:11 EST 2000

Dave pointed out...

>At 09:11 05/01/00 , Richard Lockwood wrote:
>>Isn't it ironic that computer users have shortened '2000' to 'Y2K'?  Surely
>>that was what caused the whole problem in the first place?
>
>Especially as 2K is actually 2048.
>
>(1K = 2 to the power of 10 = 1024).

Well, I like to think of this year as A.D. 3720, with only 60 more years to
go before the next millenium, i.e., A.D. 4000.  I'd be 123 years old then
(15 years younger than my grandma is currently), seeing as I was born in
A.D. 3657.  But then, I'm anti-thumb and think we should change our decimal
system by eliminating the numbers 8 and 9, and divide everything up
numerically as we (over here in the states still) do with our rulers (except
that having 14 inches per foot doesn't make sense).  Then, powers of two and
powers of ten would continually coincide, and 1000's would still be 1000's,
no matter what.

Keith H. (FAA)