HW:Therimin

Filip Vanhuyse filip.vanhuyse at YUCOM.BE
Fri Jan 7 19:48:52 EST 2000

I had a VCS-3,once in my lifetime,sold it some 15 years ago,stupid me and I can say fairly how the Hawks made
there space sounds in those early days.Simple of 2 facts,firstly it's a horribly machine and secondly it's a fantastic
machine.Now how come:IT CAN'T KEEP TUNE.It doesn't have a keyboard,you can buy one with it but what's the
point if you point any note on your keyboard and it isn't the note you want.And there's were Hawkwind comes in.
They took it as an advantige (sorry my language,I'm not english) and used it like barbarians,like often said in intervieuws.
Nowdays Dave Brock sampled those sounds into his machines and uses then live,I think,almost certain as there's no
way and even foolish to get those things on the road as for a vintage VCS-3 now you pay a fortune (foolish me again).
Now for the "audio-generator" is really the heart of a synthesizer but it has voltage control.What does this mean?
The "generator/occilator" has a voltage to it so he can point it to a note (or anything else for that matter),otherwise
it's just a machine for electro-technicians with some sound coming out.
I know I'm talking jibberish now but if some of you are willing to know more you can contact me or go to some websites
with old synthesizers.
As far as I know the Hawks never ever used a Therimin as it's a whole other concept and they never even may of heard of
it in those early days.A very effective use of the Theremin is used in "Good Vibrations" of the Beach Boys and that's not
really the sound of Hawkwind or is it ?

Any replies or conquests ?

Filip Hawknut