HW : Glastonbury voting

Sun Jan 16 18:53:38 EST 2000

On Sat, Jan 15, 2000 at 05:09:23PM -0500, K Henderson wrote:

> So what the hell difference does it make...the only thing I see is that the
> people running the vote can tell how many fans are networked together for
> any particular group (and how clever they are).  Then that *might* be a
> proxy for how many are likely to take the effort to travel 1000 miles to
> Glasters to see that group.  Any true band popularity rating culled from
> this would be worthless.  Note that the Porcupine Tree list is down for
> maintenance right now...I don't think they have a single vote, do they?

        Is that damn list ever _up_? Mind you, given the times they've
had of it there the last couple of tries I doubt somehow that PT will be
over-eager to appear. Though of course if they were invited I doubt
Snapper would be too pleased if they tried to refuse.

> P.S.  I'm guessing that *all* of the bands are effectively 'write-ins', as
> they just keep adding on more and more.  Who the hell is Morecheeba?

        Well, they actually do exist... They're a London (I think)
trip-hop band who turned out a supremely annoying track called `Tapeloop'
a few years back but other than that have at least as much to recommend
them as any other trip-hop type band.

        Except Portishead of course, because they have an ex-Hawkwind
member. Did anyone else know this? Their drummer's Clive Deamer. This
means that on my attempt at a complete Relations List I have to feature
not only Portishead but also Roni Size & Reprazent (ick!). Mr. Deamer has
a lot to answer for... Yours,
                              Jon

--
 |                Jon Jarrett, Pembroke College, Cambridge              |