HW: Live '79 Complete

Dan Witt lwitt1 at USWEST.NET
Wed Jan 19 15:44:21 EST 2000

> We are all sure that he has got in his vaults tons of master tapes
> from hundreds of gigs

Are you guessing?  I would doubt he has many soundboard tapes.  Most
established bands don't bother with taping their shows.  I wouldn't
think think many venues were equipped to make a decent soundboard
recording in the 70's, and I can't see Dave bringing in a reel to reel
and setting everything up.  Even if there was some soundboard tapes,
they still would not be multi track, which means no adjusting the
instruments in the mix.  The chicago show from 74 had to be one of the
only pro taped shows just sitting around waiting to be released.

I'm fine with releases like live 79, if they would just put some
indicator on the packaging, maybe "lo-fi recording".  But I suppose the
record companies want to sell copies so they don't label them as such.