Hawkwind 97 & Punkcast (was Re: HW: Live '79 Complete)

BL Young blyoung at BIGFOOT.COM
Thu Jan 20 03:20:00 EST 2000

Stephan Spiegel wrote:

> Does anyone else have the sneaking suspicion that this "free" CD will turn
> out to be the Hawkwind '97 Live CD that was sold to passport holders?
>
> Yep ! !   I'll bet Dave has about 10 cases
> of 500 each sitting down in the basement
> and needs an avenue to get rid of them all.

Man!  I need a copy of Hawkwind 97 and I don't know how to get one!  Is
the passport option still open?

By the way, I was toying around with burning the Punkcast thing on cdr
so it's more convenient to listen to, but I really can't stand mono
recordings.  Here's a couple technical questions I have after doing a
little searching on the web:

1)  Is there any freeware (or non-crippleware) software to convert Ra to
wav format?  I found one called ra2wav.zip, but I'm sure I'll only use
it the once, and don't want to pay for it for one usage.  The
crippleware free download inserts a voice saying "demo version"
repeatedly into the sound mix.

2)  Is there any better way to simulate stereo besides the delay &
invert method?  This does give the illusion of depth, and eliminates the
scary feeling that all this mono music is sitting right in front of your
forehead, but it also seems to give the music a subtle metallic flavor.

(The method goes like this:  on the left channel, paste-mix the same
data but with a 4 msec delay.  Do the same thing on the right channel,
but invert the data before pasting it, and then again use the same 4
msec delay.)

Bryan Young        CANADA        blyoung AT bigfoot DOT com