HW: Collector's Series

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Thu Jan 20 22:20:22 EST 2000

Hi there...

This is not (primarily) an addition to the debate over the pros and cons of
the series (I haven't heard any of them yet, so I'm not one to comment at
this point).

But I just got Andy G's (Garibaldi, as opposed to Gilham) catalog and saw
the breakdown of the series to come.  And I wasn't sure if this was widely
known to folks here.

Coll. Ser. 1 - Complete Live 1979 (2CD) / Hammersmith 01.12.79 out now
Coll. Ser. 2 - Live 1982 (2CD) / Hammersmith 13.11.82 out now
Coll. Ser. 3 - Atomhenge 1976 (2CD) / ???  March 6 release
Coll. Ser. 4 - Weird 101 / Sonic Assassins live 23.12.77 Barnstaple + DBrock
solo tracks recorded at home in Devon, 1978-79
Coll. Ser. 5 - Weird 102 / Stonehenge Free Festival 23.6.77, Chicago -
Riverside Theatre 12.3.78, plus 3 Hawklords tracks recorded at Rockfield
(2-3/79)
Coll. Ser. 6 - Weird 103 / more Stonehenge 23.6.77, plus Watchfield 8/75 and
Rockfield studios, 9/77
Coll. Ser. 7 - Weird 104 / Hawklords Live 1978, the question in Andy's mind
whether this is the same as the Hawklords Live on Dojo/Griffin.
Coll. Ser. 8 - Weird 105 / Hammersmith Odeon 5.10.76 and 1977, plus studio
tracks from 12/77
Coll. Ser. 9 - Weird 106 / One track (US studio 12/73), three tracks at
Chalk Farm Roadhouse, London 13.2.72 (Greasy Truckers?), and the rest
recorded at Maida Vale BBC studios on 18.8.70 and Playhouse Theatre, BBC
Studios 19.4.71.

Glastonbury '90 - Travellers Field, Glastonbury 5 AM.  Dodgy recording!  :)

Nottingham '90 remix (2CD) - The 'Live Legends' gig at Nottingham 24.1.90 on
one disc, plus a previously unreleased CD recorded at a different concert
venue on the same tour as a bonus. March 6 release.

Well, I don't remember hearing about this last one...this should be really
nice. I love the music on the LL video, but (although it's amusing to see
once or twice) I don't think I would like to watch the stage show over and
over again so much.  Plus I remember Alan telling me that they were
disappointed that they weren't allowed to mix the recording properly, so I
imagine that the sound quality should be even better on this one.  I suppose
this 'bonus' CD couldn't be the one given to the buyers of the complete
Collectors Series, could it?!

Anyway, I wonder if we should judge Voiceprint on the entire series rather
than the one that everyone seems to think is crappy (Glastonbury).  (I still
can't tell how bad, or good, the other two are....some seem to think they're
fine...others think they're crap...I'll wait and see for myself.)  And as
most of this other material is known to many here, we should already have a
good idea of how this will end up, right?  I can't say exactly, I have only
heard one of the Weird tapes as it was (can't remember which one), not
counting Weird 104 (if that *is* the Hawklords Live thingy...why would they
release this again?), and an old bootleg LP that my brother has
(Watchfield/Stonehenge), which I assume is Weird 103.  (BTW, how rare is
this thing?)  I haven't heard that in ten years, so I've forgotten what it's
like.  Hash Cake '77 is from that, isn't it?

Also, we were just talking about the Chicago 1978 show, in reference to the
SotA on F&R II.  So what's on the Weird 102 tape from this gig?  Does that
mean that entire show must exist somewhere, or as Bernhard suggests, in
Dave's attic?  Is the breakup/sale of Dave's guitar to Marc Sperhawk on tape
somewhere? :)  Where is Marc Sperhawk these days anyway, and does he still
have the guitar?  Was it the Warrior-paint job model?

Final question...is the Atomhenge 1976 likely to be the same Atomhenge
recording that was popping up on CD-R last year from somewhere in
Scandinavia?  (Or at least Henrik had copies available for a brief spell.)

That's all...I hope the 'bonus CD' for all ten (what's the tenth, if there
are nine plus two non-numbered?) will be Hawkwind Live in New Zealand 2K.  :)

Keith H. (FAA)