HW: Collector's Series

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Mon Jan 24 14:06:36 EST 2000

On Fri, 21 Jan 2000 09:47:59 -0000, Andy Gilham
<Andy.Gilham at BTINTERNET.COM> wrote:
>> Coll. Ser. 7 - Weird 104 / Hawklords Live 1978, the question in
>> Andy's mind
>> whether this is the same as the Hawklords Live on Dojo/Griffin.
>
>The original Weird 104 is quite different to the Live 1978 album.  Much
>better too, imo.

I'll agree, except that the Weird Tape doesn't have "25 Years" on it, which
is possibly my very favorite live track from the Hawklords era.

And, on Fri, 21 Jan 2000 21:52:12 +0000, Dave Berry <daveb at TARDIS.ED.AC.UK>
wrote:
>>Final question...is the Atomhenge 1976 likely to be the same Atomhenge
>>recording that was popping up on CD-R last year from somewhere in
>>Scandinavia?  (Or at least Henrik had copies available for a brief spell.)
>
>What was the sound quality of that like?  My guess is that tapes from that
long ago
>would be fairly poor, unless EMI have found another tape in their vaults
or something.

Regarding the 'Atomehenge' CD-R boot on Lone Wolf Records, you're correct
about the sound quality (and the Lone Wolf 'Quark Night In Paris' sounds
even worse!), but it's only a single CD, while the "Collector Series"
version is listed as a double CD.  Hopefully, if the "Collector Series"
release is taken from the same tape, it will get a bit of digital cleanup
before release.  My copy of the LWR 'Atomhenge' sounds much better when I
play it through a BBE Sonic Maximizer (a rackmount device intended to
improve sound quality for live club performances or for home/project studio
recordings - running well-recorded sounds through the unit results in
little change, but it works wonders with poor-quality live recordings), so
there are definitely ways to improve the sound.

And speaking of "EMI's" vaults, has everyone heard about EMI music being
bought-out/merged with Time Warner?  And then there were four ... (Sony,
Warner EMI, Seagrams & BMG Philips) ... support Independent Music labels!

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com