BOC: Various replies

John A. Swartz jswartz at MITRE.ORG
Thu Jan 27 15:46:28 EST 2000

>         What annoys me particularly about this is that the calendrical
> stupidity has been governmentally-endorsed. I was also sorry to see
> Deke
> Leonard's hopes for the Millennium Bug (which is a Century Bug as any
> fule kno) disappointed (he says heroically throwing a line in the
> direction of a list topic).

"Century Bug" - so, now the claim is that Y2K is not a new Millennium,
but it is a new Century?  Um, doesn't the same logic that argues that
the next Millennium begins in 2001 also apply to the argument that the
next Century begins in 2001 as well?  Then again, whereas "millennium"
is an arbitrary span of 1000 years, "century" would also be an abitrary
span of 100 years.  Carry this to the next logical step -- have we or
have we not entered a new DECADE this year?

Ow, now my head really hurts...

> music by
> > Blue Oyster Cult, is due soon. There will be bonus tracks and the
> > whole CD will now consist of 30 tracks.<<<

I don't know of any "bonus tracks" - I've seen a European import of this
recently, which consists of 2 CDs -- the first CD has the 2 BOC tunes
plus the 2 from all those other artists; the second CD has the "Bad
Channels Soundtrack" score - but, I believe all of this is contained on
the original (single CD) release.  Perhaps someone who has the 2 CD set
can verify...

>         This thing is already in my CD racks :-) I don't know what's
> `bonus' and what's not but aside from the two BOC tracks proper there
> is
> also about twenty minutes worth of snippets from the actual score of
> the
> film. Very odd stuff for BOC - sounds in places exactly like
> _Firestarter_ by Tangerine Dream except more fragmented and
> fitted-to-action-
> you-can't-see. Not exactly brilliant music, but a real expansion to my
> idea of BOC...

Buck Dharma himself did all of the "score" using his guitars and
(Macintosh) computer.  He basically worked out stuff to fit the mood
with the story.  I haven't seen the actual movie, but it probably works
better with the movie than to listen to these tracks by themselves.

> <<  I found on Usenet a mention of this fella as a
> one-time BOC drummer; anyone got any further info?
> ===
>                       >>
> wasnt this fellow the drummer in the "original" alice cooper?
> if that's him, he wasnt in BOC...

I do not believe Neil Smith ever played with BOC, but he did play with
Joe Bouchard (and Dennis Dunaway) in the band "Deadringer" after Joe
left BOC.  Actually, I think Joe is working on some new stuff with him.

> Speaking of tRbN, I posted a question a few days ago - does anyone
> know what
> "Shooting shark" means?
>
> Guess not.

> I always thought it was a comet...

Based on the video for this song, that is what I believe it is as well.

John