BOC: Various replies

Fri Jan 28 09:18:07 EST 2000

On Thu, Jan 27, 2000 at 03:46:28PM -0500, John A. Swartz wrote:
> >         What annoys me particularly about this is that the calendrical
> > stupidity has been governmentally-endorsed. I was also sorry to see
> > Deke
> > Leonard's hopes for the Millennium Bug (which is a Century Bug as any
> > fule kno) disappointed (he says heroically throwing a line in the
> > direction of a list topic).
>
> "Century Bug" - so, now the claim is that Y2K is not a new Millennium,
> but it is a new Century?  Um, doesn't the same logic that argues that
> the next Millennium begins in 2001 also apply to the argument that the
> next Century begins in 2001 as well?  Then again, whereas "millennium"
> is an arbitrary span of 1000 years, "century" would also be an abitrary
> span of 100 years.  Carry this to the next logical step -- have we or
> have we not entered a new DECADE this year?

        Now, that's not what I meant, but it's an interesting point. All
I meant was that the so-called Millennium Bug would have been a problem
in 1900 too had there been electronic clocks at that time, and any other
point when a year ended in ..00. So it's not just a thousand-year thing.

        But decades are different, aren't they, because we think of e.g.
the 1930s as a decade, which suggests that decades and centuries start at
a different point (and therefore that the first decade AD had only nine
years in it). Anyone any thoughts?

> Ow, now my head really hurts...

> > music by
> > > Blue Oyster Cult, is due soon. There will be bonus tracks and the
> > > whole CD will now consist of 30 tracks.<<<
>
> I don't know of any "bonus tracks" - I've seen a European import of this
> recently, which consists of 2 CDs -- the first CD has the 2 BOC tunes
> plus the 2 from all those other artists; the second CD has the "Bad
> Channels Soundtrack" score - but, I believe all of this is contained on
> the original (single CD) release.  Perhaps someone who has the 2 CD set
> can verify...
>

> >         This thing is already in my CD racks :-) I don't know what's
> > `bonus' and what's not but aside from the two BOC tracks proper there
> > is
> > also about twenty minutes worth of snippets from the actual score of
> > the
> > film. Very odd stuff for BOC - sounds in places exactly like
> > _Firestarter_ by Tangerine Dream except more fragmented and
> > fitted-to-action-
> > you-can't-see. Not exactly brilliant music, but a real expansion to my
> > idea of BOC...
>
> Buck Dharma himself did all of the "score" using his guitars and
> (Macintosh) computer.  He basically worked out stuff to fit the mood
> with the story.  I haven't seen the actual movie, but it probably works
> better with the movie than to listen to these tracks by themselves.

        Yeah, seems so to me. I have the single CD which is definitely a
reissue this year; is there a different 2CDversion going round also?

        My copy credits the score to "Blue Oyster Cult", which I thought
was a bit generous given that there's never more than one guitar,
electronics and programmed drums in it as far as I can tell.

> > <<  I found on Usenet a mention of this fella as a
> > one-time BOC drummer; anyone got any further info?
> > ===
> >                       >>
> > wasnt this fellow the drummer in the "original" alice cooper?
> > if that's him, he wasnt in BOC...
>
> I do not believe Neil Smith ever played with BOC, but he did play with
> Joe Bouchard (and Dennis Dunaway) in the band "Deadringer" after Joe
> left BOC.  Actually, I think Joe is working on some new stuff with him.

        So, if he co-wrote `Shadow of California', does he play on it? If
not, who is drumming on tRbN? My rock discography claims it was Downey,
but it's not totally reliable.

        Can anyone tell me more about Deadringer, also?

        We want... information... information... information. Yours,
                                                                     Jon

--
 |                Jon Jarrett, Pembroke College, Cambridge              |