BOC/OFF: Meltzer publishing news.

Bolts of Ungodly Vision js3619 at WIZVAX.NET
Mon Jan 31 09:48:23 EST 2000

from Amazon.com:

A Whore Just Like the Rest: The Music Writings of Richard Meltzer
by Richard Meltzer
Our Price: $16.00
Paperback - 425 pages (May 2000)
Da Capo Pr; ISBN: 0306809532

Book Description
A Da Capo original: Thirty years' worth of music writing by one of the
first and greatest rock scribes and a fiercely imaginative cultural critic
He is one of the inventors of rock criticism. His first book, The Aesthetics
of Rock (acclaimed by Greil Marcus as "a disemboweling of rock's soft
 white underbelly"), became an instant cult classic when published in
 1970. And for the next thirty years he fearlessly expanded the boundaries
 of music writing. Now he has collected the best of his prodigious output
into a gonzo sampler of the reviews, profiles, interviews, and essays that
form the heart of his rockwriter legacy. Traveling from psychedelia to the
 "dinosaur-rot early '70s" to the redeeming majesty of punk and the
constant solace of jazz, this will stand as a remarkable document of an
era by a singular voice in music writing.

>From A Whore Just Like the Rest:
"Well, for starters, I invented this shit. Rock writing. I was first. Well
maybe not literal first, just one of the first two-three-four, probably the
first to take the ball and actually run with it; certainly the sole early
manjack you're still reading now. Before Lester Bangs was, I am (and
 he's dead). Which, heck, I dangle as neither credit nor debit -just my way
of saying hi."

He lives in Portland, Oregon where he is currently vocalist for the band
Smegma.

kick out the jams!
Jason