HW: Other Space Rock Outfits Of Note

Thu Jul 6 14:25:57 EDT 2000

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000, david hall wrote:

> I tend to avoid Hawkwind soundalikes (heard too many of them in the
> eighties at festivals when bands were trying to be Hawkwind or Here
> and Now). But as for other Space Rock bands my experience tends to be
> restricted to the likes of Eloy and Nektar, as for newer ones apart
> from Porcupine Tree (do they count) I haven't heard them. Any
> opinions?

        Porcupine Tree have been a different-sounding band every album out
so far. I think only _Up the Downstair_ really touches the Hawkwind sound,
although I suppose _On The Sunday Of Life..._ meets _Church_ in a few
places. I don't think I've ever considered PT a space-rock band although
one or two of the tracks are undeniably in the genre. But PT are self-
proclaimedly progressive, and that's not the same effect being sought as a
space-rock band are after. IMO. Yours,
                                        Jon

--
 |  Jon Jarrett (01223 741219)           jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk
 | "Zeron Gamma Two continuum entropy control parameters - AFFIRMATIVE!" |