OFF: Gong/proggers Miriodor at 'Jazz' fest

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Mon Jul 10 20:44:32 EDT 2000

Edgefest Creative Music Festival - Ann Arbor, MI Oct. 5-7, 2000

Line-up is tentative and subject to change.  The schedule as currently
planned is below.  The three venues are all quite small (seating less than
150 each).  In addition to individual concert prices, a three-day pass will
cost $60 (a $40 savings), and include preferred seating in the front rows at
each concert.  Reservations for passes or individual concerts can be made by
calling (734) 769-2999.  We would put you in the reservation book and
payment is by cash or check at the door (no plastic).  I hope we can soon
post the complete festival line-up on our website at
www.kerrytown.com/concerthouse.  In the meantime, here's a bit of an advance
look.  I hope that when we finally nail everything down over the next month,
the festival will look exactly as in the schedule below.
Dave Lynch

THURSDAY, OCTOBER 5, 2000
8 pm at Firefly Club -- Opening Night Extravaganza:  Ann Arbor Meets
Montreal ($15 or Edgepass)

Miriodor (Bernard Falaise, guitar; Rémi Leclerc, drums; Pascal Globensky ,
keyboards; Nicolas Masino, bass, keyboards; Marie-Chantal Leclair,
saxophones) sponsored by Cuneiform Records

Steve Rush's Bitches Brew Project (Steve Rush, keyboards; Mark Kirschenmann,
trumpet; Tim Flood, bass; Aaron Siegel, drums; Andrew Bishop, saxophones;
Jeff Enderton, guitar; Alana Rocklin, bass; John Maloney, drums)

L'Orkestre des Pas Perdus (Claude St. Jean, trombone; Rémi Leclerc, drums;
Jean-Denis Levasseur, alto saxophone, piccolo, clarinet; Roberto Murray,
tenor saxophone, flute; Jean Sabourin, sousaphone; Maxime St.-Pierre,
trumpet, flugelhorn).

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 6, 2000
4 pm at KCH (open to the public with free admission)
Workshop/clinic with Marilyn Crispell, Reggie Workman, Gerald Cleaver and
Spencer Barefield (critiques of small group improvisations by the U-M
Creative Arts Orchestra) sponsored by the U-M Program in Jazz and
Contemporary Improvisation and Southeastern Michigan Jazz Association.

8 pm at Kerrytown Concert House ($15 or Edgepass)
Marilyn Crispell/Reggie Workman Ensemble (Marilyn Crispell, piano; Reggie
Workman, bass; Gerald Cleaver, drums).

10 pm at Firefly Club ($10 or Edgepass)
Gerald Cleaver's Veil of Names (Gerald Cleaver, drums; Andrew Bishop,
saxophones; Craig Taborn, Fender Rhodes piano and synthesizer; Matt Maneri,
viola; Ben Monder, guitar; Reid Anderson, bass).

Midnight at Firefly Club ($10 or Edgepass)
Reggie Workman/Spencer Barefield Duo (Reggie Workman, bass; Spencer
Barefield, guitar) sponsored by the Creative Arts Collective.

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 7, 2000
2 pm at Kerrytown Concert House ($5 or Edgepass)
Lipson/Summerfield Band (Brian Lipson, trumpet; Toby Summerfield, guitar;
Tim Brown, drums).

4 pm at Kerrytown Concert House (open to the public with free admission)
Q&A with Phillip Johnston and Ken Vandermark:  Approaches to Improvisation
and Composition with Silent Films sponsored by the Southeastern Michigan
Jazz Association.

7 pm at Kerrytown Concert House ($10 or Edgepass)
Phillip Johnston's Transparent Quartet - The Georges Méliès Project (live
music accompanying eight short films by French silent filmmaker Georges
Méliès, with Phillip Johnston, soprano and tenor saxophones; Joe Ruddick,
piano, baritone saxophone; Mark Josefsberg, vibraphone; David Hofstra, bass,
tuba).

8:30 pm at Workbench Furniture - Triple Show: An International Creative Jazz
and World Music Bash ($20 or Edgepass)
Trevor Watts Moiré Music Group (Trevor Watts, alto and soprano saxophones;
Colin McKenzie, bass; Marc Parnell, drums; Paapa J. Mensah, percussion,
voice [from Ghana, West Africa]; Roberto Pla, Latin percussion [from Colombia])

DKV Trio (Hamid Drake, drums and percussion; Kent Kessler, bass; Ken
Vandermark, tenor saxophone, clarinets)

Vandermark 5 (Ken Vandermark, tenor saxophone, clarinets; Jeb Bishop,
trombone, guitar; Kent Kessler, bass; Tim Mulvenna, drums; Dave Rempis, alto
saxophone).

Midnight at Firefly Club - The Late Show  ($15 or Edgepass)
Gong (Daevid Allen, vocals, glissando guitar; Gilli Smyth, poetess, space
whisper; Mike Howlett, bass; Didier Malherbe, reeds; Pip Pyle, drums; Steffi
Sharpstrings, guitar).