OFF: Gong/proggers Miriodor at 'Jazz' fest

Chris Warburton desdinova at BREATHEMAIL.NET
Tue Jul 11 15:08:12 EDT 2000

For anybody thinking of going, some of the less "obvious" acts may be of
interest too (in fact, I really wish this was in my area....), so hereby my
2p worth for the benefit of interested parties:

At 01:44 11/07/00, you wrote:
>Steve Rush's Bitches Brew Project (Steve Rush, keyboards; Mark Kirschenmann,
>trumpet; Tim Flood, bass; Aaron Siegel, drums; Andrew Bishop, saxophones;
>Jeff Enderton, guitar; Alana Rocklin, bass; John Maloney, drums)

I don't know anything about the individual musicians, but if they're
working from a template of Miles Davis' Bitches brew it should be fun; a
bit spacey, a bit funky and with quite a bit of jamming.

>8pm at Kerrytown Concert House ($15 or Edgepass)
>Marilyn Crispell/Reggie Workman Ensemble (Marilyn Crispell, piano; Reggie
>Workman, bass; Gerald Cleaver, drums).

Opposite to the above, don't really know what they'll be playing, but
Crispell & Workman are OUTSTANDING musicians...my best bet is that they'll
be quite "avant-garde", though not completely abandoning "tunes".

>8:30 pm at Workbench Furniture - Triple Show: An International Creative Jazz
>and World Music Bash ($20 or Edgepass)
>Trevor Watts Moiré Music Group (Trevor Watts, alto and soprano saxophones;
>Colin McKenzie, bass; Marc Parnell, drums; Paapa J. Mensah, percussion,
>voice [from Ghana, West Africa]; Roberto Pla, Latin percussion [from
>Colombia])

IMHO, unmissable, hypnotic interweaving rhythms.  Trevor & Colin have
worked together, on & off, for at least 20 years, so their understanding of
each others playing verges on telepathic.  I was at the Bracknell Festival
debut of the first Moiré Music, and it's imprinted deep in my memory, this
is "not-Jazz" of the finest kind & very spacey.

>DKV Trio (Hamid Drake, drums and percussion; Kent Kessler, bass; Ken
>Vandermark, tenor saxophone, clarinets)
>
>Vandermark 5 (Ken Vandermark, tenor saxophone, clarinets; Jeb Bishop,
>trombone, guitar; Kent Kessler, bass; Tim Mulvenna, drums; Dave Rempis, alto
>saxophone).

I don't know about the trio, but the Vandermark 5 is a fearsome & full-on
band, incredibly high-energy, and loud.  If you think "jazz" is people
tinkling on pianos in hotel bars, this lot should blow away your
preconceptions!!!

>Midnight at Firefly Club - The Late Show  ($15 or Edgepass)
>Gong (Daevid Allen, vocals, glissando guitar; Gilli Smyth, poetess, space
>whisper; Mike Howlett, bass; Didier Malherbe, reeds; Pip Pyle, drums; Steffi
>Sharpstrings, guitar).

'Nuff said *g*

Hope this encourages someone to experiment!!!

Cheers,
ChrisW

"a cynic is a man who when he smells flowers looks around for a coffin" -
Bierce

So do your good deed for the day - http://www.thehungersite.com