HW: Promoting space rock

Paul Mather paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU
Fri Jul 14 22:48:48 EDT 2000

On Fri, 14 Jul 2000, K Henderson wrote:

=> >> The CD-R is  a limited edition of 50 copies only and the remaining 47 are
=> >> being sold by CD Services Mail Order. They are hand-painted original artwork
=> >> by Richard, autographed by the group, and won't be repressed once they have
=> >> gone. They were only manufactured for the USA dates, but Jerry told me today
=> >> that they have been cancelled.

=> Given that something has come up (?) to put the project on indefinite
=> hiatus, I don't imagine they're in any hurry to take the tracks to Doug/EBS
=> or whatever and fight for an official release just now.  So what would you
=> do with the CD-Rs?  Throw them away?

No, I don't think they should throw them away; they should sell them (as
I actually suggested in the rest of my message).  In fact, the limited
Kollector *packaging* is a great way for a small band to make easy money
from diehard fans.  What I took at face value was the statement "won't
be repressed once they have gone," which limits the music.  Limiting the
packaging is fine by me.  I don't listen to packaging.

I realise these are existing product being flogged off to recoup costs.
Maybe I didn't make that clear in my posting.  Perhaps I just
misunderstood the original CDS posting.  My reading of it was "grab
these quick whilst you can, because once they're gone there's not going
to be any more."  I guess that is what pushed a hot button, because, as
I said, it's hard to support and spread a scene you can't actually hear.

Cheers,

Paul.

e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu

        --- Frank Vincent Zappa