NIK: Ystalyfera

Sat Jul 22 10:49:19 EDT 2000

> How big was the audience, Andy?

I'm rubbish as judging these things, but several hundred, I'd say.  The gwyl
(which I think just means "festival") is kind of a town event, so as well as
those who'd come especially to see the band, there were lots of ordinary
people too, of all ages - quite a lot of whom stayed through the set.

I chatted with Nik and Terry beforehand, and Nik introduced me to the
whooshy-noises player, who was called something like Lloyd George.  Well,
first of all he introduced his as "Dik Mik," cue all the usual jokes about
looking good for all of it etc...  If you've looked at my snaps, you'll have
seen that they were all very approachable and happy to sign autographs and
stuff.

There was another band, the "LA Doors," a tribute band who were OK as such
things go, I guess, but setting yourself up as a Jim Morrison impersonator
takes a bigger ego than this guy really had to get away with it.

-- Andy

mailto:Andy.Gilham at btinternet.com; http://www.andy.gilham.btinternet.co.uk