BOC: Surgeons review

Brian Halligan blackblade at BHALLIGAN.COM
Tue Jul 25 21:19:46 EDT 2000

Nick wrote:

>Hi again, folks.  I have been off the list for months
>now, thanks to a change in jobs.

Nice to see you back.

>I'm wondering if I missed any pertinent BOC news, like
>a release date for the new album or something.  Since
>I've been back on, I've noticed very little Cult stuff,
>so I'm assuming there's nothing new.

Well, I posted a "BRAIN" only review of the Brain Surgeons show in Buffalo,
where they played Godzilla. I'll post the review again here in case anyone
missed it who might be interested.

The Brain Surgeons
Mohawk Place
Buffalo, NY
July 18

Setlist (as I remember it):
St. Vitus Dance (Deb guitar, David bass)
Last Angry Woman (")
Stones in My Passway (Deb guitar, David bass)
A Kiss is a Promise (Deb bass, David guitar, Al mandolin/drums)
Niagra Falls (Deb bass, David guitar)
Cities on Flame (Deb guitar, David bass)
On the Road (Again) (Deb bass, David guitar, Al drums/harmonica)
Death Valley Nights (Deb bass, David guitar, Al mandolin)
Dominance & Submission (Deb guitar, David bass)
Name Your Monster (")
Time Will Take Care of You (")
Godzilla (")
Astronomy (Deb bass, David guitar, Al mandolin, guest vocalist)
The Red & The Black (Deb bass, David guitar)

Encore:
Biloxi (David bass, Al percussion)

I left early from Rochester so I would be able to find Mohawk Place before
sunset. So, I was the first person to arrive at the bar other than the
bartender. I had a beer and we bemoaned that live bands are being replaced
everywhere by DJs who attract a younger crowd. Mohawk Place has a band every
night. And the bartender was genuinely excited that the Surgeons were returing
to rock the place after a two year hiatus.

As people began to wander in, I met Mark and Rich from the BOC BB and a couple
of Buffalo fans. Just about everyone at the gig was either an established
Surgeons fan, or a hardcore BOC fan. We had no idea what the Surgeons would
sound like as a 3-piece. But I definately wasn't expecting them to attempt St.
Vitus dance without the extra guitar muscle. The result was sometimes powerful,
a little sloppy but foot-tapping, and it was great just to hear the band going
for it. Deb played guitar on most of the songs and did a good job. She knew the
parts, but didn't solo much. At times, the complexity of the parts she played
sapped the power and attitude out of her singing. And that's what I saw as the
only major drawback of the new lineup.

Another tune that surprised me was A Kiss is a Promise. If only because Pete's
solo just seemed perfect for it. Well, David is a very talented guitar player.
He invented a new solo that fit just as well, but had a completely different
feel to the original. More bouncy. Rhythmic, but with some flying fingers too.
I wondered what the Surgeons would have been like if Peter, Billy, and David
were all on guitar. But I was enjoying the now too much to think about it for
long. Niagra Falls was dedicated to Helen Wheels and the people of Buffalo and
it was a tight performance. The harmonies were beautiful. It sounded like a
celebration. On the Road (Again), one of my favorite tunes from Piece of Work,
was also a favorte of the crowd by the time the song was finished. Al played
drums and harmonica simultaneously, and David's solo was a jaw-dropping
variation of the original sax solo.

Most of the BOC covers were decent, but sorely lacked the extra "twiddley." On
Death Valley Nights I missed the drumming. For Astronomy, Al called up the
singer of a local band who apparently had done the honors at the last Mohawk
Place gig as well. I couldn't appreciate his vocal style. Too "howling" for me.
But it was still a lot of fun to hear the song in a new way. Godzilla, though,
was a special treat and it was amazing. It was the first time I had heard Al
drum on Godzilla live, and it must have sounded just like the old days. Or at
least it looked like it. He wore an oversized lizard mask and drummed to a
strobe light. Red & the Black was also a great version, mostly because of
David's scorching guitar work, and the fact that Al sang the whole thing solo,
which made him look as if he were a crazy man talking to himself. "It's
alright. It's all-RIGHT."

It may seem strange that they ended the show with Biloxi, but it worked
beautifuly. Deb gave her best singing performance of the night because she was
unencumbered by an instrument. And Dave and Al's backing vocals were just like
on the record. Dave flubbed his bass line a little, but it just added to the
fun we were having. Even with only three people playing songs meant for five,
the Surgeons were able to blast the rafters and get everyone anxiously awaiting
their next trip to town.

Tourdates can be found at http://www.cellsum.com/

Brian

-----