HW:Hawkwind Family Box

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Fri Jun 2 18:53:00 EDT 2000

On Fri, 2 Jun 2000 13:08:13 -0400, K Henderson <henderson.120 at OSU.EDU> wrote:
>Filip wonders....
>>Just bought the Hawkwind Family Box on Cleopatra and the content is:
>>-HAWKWIND:Psychedelic Warlords . The Best Of
>>-NIK TURNER:Prophets Of Time
>>-SPIRAL REALMS:Trip To G9
>>-SURPRISE CD:STEVE PEREGRINE TOOK:THE MISSING LINK TO TYRANNOSAURUS REX
>>
>>Can anyone tell what this got to do with Hawkwind?
>
>Nothing.  Except maybe he played with T. Rex and they did gigs with Hawkwind
>IIRC.

Steve Took was in Tyranosaurus Rex with Marc Bolan; Hawkwind performed on
the 'Marc' TV show in '77 (the mimed "Quark, Strangeness & Charm" w/out Dave).

Steve Took was in Shagrat with Larry Wallis, who was later in the Pink
Fairies (replacing Mick Wayne who had replaced Paul Rudolph), Motorhead
(with Lemmy, duh!), and the latter-day Deviants (which also included Paul
Rudolph & Alan Powell on their 'Screwed Up' EP).

Steve Took was in the original (pre-band) Pink Fairies motorcycle/drinking
club with Mick Farren (lyricist of "Lost Johnny" for Hawkwind) and Twink
(occasional Hawkwind fill-in drummer, member of the Pink Fairies with Paul
Rudolph, member of the Pretty Things with Dick Taylor who produced the
first Hawkwind album, and PinkWind collaborator with Nik).

Not the closest connection(s), but good enough for me.  Of course the copy
of 'Freq (revisited)' that came with my HW Family Box IS a much-closer
connection :^).

And, of course, Keith really hits the nail on the head when he adds:
>But really the connection is...."Well, Brian P., we've got to get some of
>this stock the hell out of our warehouse, so can you think of a way to
>gather all of these roughly similar items together in new and inventive ways
>and pass them off to the public as if it was a fabulous new boxset that we
>put a lot of effort into creating?  OK, great! Let's do it!"

But still a great deal for me - I didn't have either the 'Freq' CD, Nik's
'Sphynx' CD (the Cleopatra one, of course), or the Spiral Realms CD.
Didn't even have the HW 'Psychedelic Warlords' CD, but (no surprise) have
all the songs on other CD's.

>Los Angeles, CA - Home of Cleopatra: Masters of Tributes and Compilations,
>but loathe to sign any modern SpaceRock artists, just punk and goth.

Almost, but they pretty much only do reissues of those genres (and in the
punk genre, mostly crappy 3rd-gen 80's UK stuff).  Try more like bad techno

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com