silver machine bass options

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Fri Jun 2 18:38:44 EDT 2000

On Sat, 27 May 2000 08:47:25 GMT, Steve P <Steve at DOREMI.CO.UK> wrote:
>On Fri, 26 May 2000 16:44:15 -0700, you sent through the ether:
>> just don't expect a
>>transcription of the keyboard solo from "Psi Power"!)
>
>Did you get the package I sent you? ..

YES!  Completely amazing!  Thanks!

Of the three Calvert/Krankschaft CD's I have (the other two being 'QE Hall'
and the 'Action Man' boot), it's easily the best performance, and has sound
quality to rival the former ... you'll probably be a bit disappointed in
comparison with the copy of the latter that I sent you.  Perhaps you can
figure out the correct date from the second show on that CD (listed as
spring '87, but it's obviously Steve'n'Fred).

The early ICU live CD is real fine, too, although it's a bummer that
Brainstorm fades out before the end (judging from the timing on the CD, I
would guess that one side of someone's C90 ran out in the middle of the
song).  Not as remarkable as the Calvert one (sound quality sounds like a
cassette recording, songs aren't *that* different from how they'd all
appear on PassOut), but still a very cool thing to hear.

>you`ve no idea how long it took
>me to teach that solo to Mary.. ;)

The "Psi Power" solo isn't too tough if even *I* can figure it out,
especially since it just alternates between two chords ...

... and then corrected himself on Sat, 27 May 2000 08:51:41 GMT ...
>That'll teach me to post before I wake up.. I of course mean the solo
>from Damnation Alley.. ignore me, I`m sleeping.

... ah yes, a few more chords involved in that one.  You guys didn't ever
do "Psi Power" when backing up Bob, did you (I believe I counted a 21-song
repertoire between the 3 CD's)?

And, semi-relatedly, sorry for not being too active this week (great tapes,
Chuck!  Wish I'd had more time to think about 'em), but work's been busy
and rehearsing until 1AM wednesday didn't help.  BAY AREA HAWKFANS - said
rehearsal was with a new side project called Ad Hawk - yep, a cover/tribute
band.  We're playing saturday night at the Port Lite in Oakland (a dive bar
at the corner of Brush st. and 3rd st. near Jack London Square) with my
punk-pop band Dogbreath as short-notice fill-in (hence the bad pun in the
name) for the drummer's "real" band, the New Lows.  I'll be playing
keyboards/synths (sorry, didn't have time to get any songs w/violin
together - maybe next time, IF there's a next time) and handling most of
the lead vocals/recitations (I'll spoil part of the surprise and mention
that we'll be opening with "Warriors on the Edge of Time", which ought to
clue you in as to what the next two songs will be).  The rest of the band
(pretty much my "dream" lineup!) is:

Grady Runyan (Liquorball, Sternklang, ex?-Monoshock) - guitar, vocals
Marlon Kasberg (Liquorball, and quite a Lemmy-esque character in his own
right) - bass, vocals
Chris Guttmacher (New Lows, Sternklang, ex-Cul de Sac) - drums

Can't believe that it took so long for me to actually do this ...

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com