OFF: Legendary Pink Dots

K Henderson henderson.120 at OSU.EDU
Mon Jun 5 00:05:36 EDT 2000

Hi Folks...

I stumbled across the brand new LPD release "A Perfect Mystery" today at the
local shop (Used Kids)....and decided to pick it up.  Wow!  I've got perhaps
six other LPD CDs from all eras of the group, early 80s to other recent
stuff.  With just one listen, I can say that this one is the very best I've
heard.  Lots of great stuff you couldn't possibly call anything else but
space rock.  Ka-Spel's weird voice is there as always, but he 'sings' almost
all the way through it, rather than that dreary rambling poetic style he
normally does quite often.

Of course, the show in Columbus is the same day I was intending to drive to
Pennsylvania for the Happy the Man et al. show at NEARfest.  But I see that
the LPD are in Cleveland Thursday night.  This new stuff is cool enough that
I just might take Friday off and head outta town early to catch that
Cleveland show on the way east.

Here are the other dates...I recommend seeing them, esp. this time assuming
they play some of this new amazing stuff.  And don't leave right away if
they start out sucking...that's the way they were the first time I saw them
in Cincy.  40 minutes of tedious schlock, until abruptly they switched into
full space-rock/oscillator mode!

Grakkl (FAA)

 6/06 - Carborro, NC         Cat's Cradle
 6/07 - Charlotte, NC        Tremont Music Hall
 6/08 - Atlanta, GA          Cotton Club
 6/09 - Jacksonville, FL     Jack Rabbits
 6/10 - Orlando, FL          Sapphire Supper Club
 6/11 - St. Petersburg, FL   The State Theatre
 6/12 - New Orleans, LA      Howlin' Wolf
 6/14 - Cincinnati, OH       Bogart's
 6/15 - Cleveland, OH        Peabody's Down Under
 6/16 - Columbus, OH         Little Brother's
 6/17 - Pittsburgh, PA       Club Laga
 6/18 - Pontiac, MI          7th House
 6/20 - Milwaukee, WI        Rave Bar
 6/21 - Minneapolis, MN      First Avenue
 6/22 - Chicago, IL          Double Door
 6/23 - St. Louis, MO        Side Door
 6/24 - Lawrence, KS         The Bottleneck
 6/26 - Austin, TX           Stubb's Bar-B-Q
 6/27 - Houston, TX          Instant Karma
 6/28 - Dallas, TX           Curtain Club
 6/30 - Denver, CO           Bluebird Theatre
 7/01 - Denver, CO           Bluebird Theatre
 7/03 - Salt Lake City, UT   DV8
 7/05 - Los Angeles, CA      Roxy Theatre
 7/06 - Santra Ana, CA       Galaxy Theatre
 7/08 - San Francisco, CA    Slim's
 7/10 - Portland, OR         Barbati's Pan
 7/11 - Seattle, WA          The Showbox
 7/12 - Vancouver, BC        Richard's On Richards
 7/13 - Friday Harbor, WA    Egg Lake Saw Mill