Off: The Legendary Pink Dots

Darrin McKeehen dmckeehen at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Jun 10 21:15:41 EDT 2000

Hey Now!

First off, I'd like to thank Keith for posting the tour dates for LPD. I
love these guys!

I taped these guys last night in Jacksonville. It was my first time ever
seeing them or even hearing them for that matter. They were VERY kind and
taping was not trouble at all! I sat my rig up right next to the SBD and we
were off and running. The opening act is Dead Voices on Air (DVOA)and
featured the SAX player form LPD and the drummer/bass player from LPD on one
or two songs and a keyboard player. Sorry, since I am new to their scene, I
don't know everyone's name.

DVOA played for about 48 minutes. Their set ranges from drone, to trance and
was a bit Gothic. If you are not familiar w/ those terms (I am just learning
them myself)it was a bit, but not too dark and very spacey and all
instrumental w/ some really cool samples. The closest band that I could
compare them to would be Anubian Lights. Definitely not boring!

Up next was LPD. Make sure that you are ready, because there's not much time
between bands. To describe them, I will say that to me they sound like a mix
between the Sisters of Mercy, Ozric Tentacles, early Pink Floyd, Can Gong
and Hawkwind. However, they don't have the high energy "edge" that some of
these other bands have. Theirs is more of a slow to medium tempo, very
melodic, very spacey and a bit dark w/ a bit of a Gothic sound. Some of
their stuff even sounded a little like the Psychedelic Furs..... just a
tad.. Definitely not a pop band ")

The sax player was awesome! Often playing 2 saxes at one time for both
bands, but more atmospheric and not as obtrusive or freakout as Nik Turner.
Not all songs had a drum kit proper, but most did. They have plenty of
T-Shirts, CD's and vinyl for sale at really fair prices. All members were
very accessible and signed autographs after the show.

When I thanked them for allowing me to tape, they smiled and said, "we
actually have a taping policy....... it's like the Grateful Dead". (Save
your bad jokes Andrew.)

The crowd was mostly "the kids in black" w/ a cool variety of fetish type
outfits. The women definitely had the best outfits w/ most of the guys in
the typical T-shirt garb, but black. I have never seen so many tattooed
chics in one place. One looked like the anti Cinderella w/ a similar outfit,
only it was all black, to match her hair. Pretty interesting for the
ultimate conservative town of Jacksonville. I am sure that in the less
conservative cities on the tour there will be many more freaks and beings
from other planets. But that should not scare any hippy types off. There
were some People Like Us (PLU) ta boot ta boot!

This was my first time at this venue, Jack Rabbit's. The staff did not
question my equipment or even bother checking ANY of my stuff ") Not a bad
place. Pretty small and it was rather warm. The crowd was a mixture of
hardcore fans and quite possibly regulars to the venue. The regulars seemed
to be a bit chatty, but you'll have that anywhere. No rude drunks and
everyone was pretty considerate, which is more that I can say for alot of
the jamband shows that I attend.

I was planning on going tonight, but my back problems are keeping me home :(

I would like to trade both DVOA and LPD from this tour.

SPACE IS THERE!

D-Rider

PS There was no lightshow. They could really use Jim Lascko!  Also, I don't
know what their feelings are on video taping, but I bet that's cool too ")
~~~~~~~~~~
NORTH AMERICAN TOUR UPDATE

The following are the latest confirmed dates for the LPD tour of North
America for 2000. All dates so far include Dead Voices on Air as special
opening guest. More dates will be posted when they're confirmed.

http://brainwashed.com/lpd/

6/10 - Orlando, FL          Sapphire Supper Club
6/11 - St. Petersburg, FL   The State Theatre
6/12 - New Orleans, LA      Howlin' Wolf
6/14 - Cincinnati, OH       Bogart's
6/15 - Cleveland, OH        Peabody's Down Under
6/16 - Columbus, OH         Little Brother's
6/17 - Pittsburgh, PA       Club Laga
6/18 - Pontiac, MI          7th House
6/20 - Milwaukee, WI        Rave Bar
6/21 - Minneapolis, MN      First Avenue
6/22 - Chicago, IL          Double Door
6/23 - St. Louis, MO        Side Door
6/24 - Lawrence, KS         The Bottleneck
6/26 - Austin, TX           Stubb's Bar-B-Q
6/27 - Houston, TX          Instant Karma
6/28 - Dallas, TX           Curtain Club
6/30 - Denver, CO           Bluebird Theatre
7/01 - Denver, CO           Bluebird Theatre
7/03 - Salt Lake City, UT   DV8
7/05 - Los Angeles, CA      Roxy Theatre
7/06 - Santra Ana, CA       Galaxy Theatre
7/08 - San Francisco, CA    Slim's
7/10 - Portland, OR         Barbati's Pan
7/11 - Seattle, WA          The Showbox
7/12 - Vancouver, BC        Richard's On Richards
7/13 - Friday Harbor, WA    Egg Lake Saw Mill