Off?: Spacerock Glossary

Darrin McKeehen dmckeehen at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Jun 12 19:22:29 EDT 2000

Well, I finally got TSM "Mind of a Brother"....

OH Yea!! What snapped these guys out of there trance?
Actually, it is starting to resemble older stuff as the tracks progress and
during the heavy and upbeat portions they do drift back into that floaty
space. But I gotta say, this really rips!

Seems like they have kinda switched styles to some extent. Which brings me
to the subject. I would say that they have kinda gone from trance to stoner
in some ways. But what do I know?

Time for Keith and you other spacerock freaks to clue some of us in on all
this spacerock terminology. Maybe this was covered before I joined in...?

I have seen and heard numerous terms thrown around. Read numerous reviews,
mostly in my favorite 'zine Aural Innovations. Attached terms to the bands
that I have in my collection, after reading the "label" that someone
attached to that certain "style".

Trance, Drone, Stoner, Festi etc. etc.

It would REALLY be cool if someone in the know would post a "Spacerock
Glossary" of ALL these terms. I know that it would really help me out ")

For instance, I just reviewed the Legendary Pink Dots show. I did the best
that I could w/ the terms, but did I describe their "sound" or "style"
properly? Do they kinda have their own style that is a combo of several
styles or do they fall into one specific style?

I don't really like "labels". For instance, I don't label BOC as "heavy
metal". That's not really what I am talking about.

Someone help out this Mind of a Brother ")

Space Is There

Darrin