Off?: Spacerock Glossary

Chuck Rosenberg Chuckrecs at AOL.COM
Tue Jun 13 03:16:12 EDT 2000

In a message dated 6/12/00 4:24:06 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
dmckeehen at HOTMAIL.COM writes:

> Well, I finally got TSM "Mind of a Brother"....
>
>  OH Yea!! What snapped these guys out of there trance?

I dunno, but I'd like to snap 'em back into it!! :)

>  Actually, it is starting to resemble older stuff as the tracks progress and
>  during the heavy and upbeat portions they do drift back into that floaty
>  space.

but still w/the drums/guits cranked _way_ up in the mix.

But I gotta say, this really rips!

That's true, but Organ Mind Solution was great and it never ripped. There are
enough ripping bands already.

>  Seems like they have kinda switched styles to some extent. Which brings me
>  to the subject. I would say that they have kinda gone from trance to stoner
>  in some ways. But what do I know?

Again, maybe I've just listened to too much metal, but the riffs sounds sorta
generic to me.

>  Time for Keith and you other spacerock freaks to clue some of us in on all
>  this spacerock terminology. Maybe this was covered before I joined in...?
>
>  I have seen and heard numerous terms thrown around. Read numerous reviews,
>  mostly in my favorite 'zine Aural Innovations. Attached terms to the bands
>  that I have in my collection, after reading the "label" that someone
>  attached to that certain "style".
>
>  Trance, Drone, Stoner, Festi etc. etc.

Just make up your own--that's what everyone else does! Actually, I know
people complain about these genre-labels, incl. myself, but I think the more
the better! Words are inadequate to describe music (or anything else for that
matter) to begin with, but you definitely need 'em if you're gonna
communicate, and the more of these sub-sub-sub-toinfinity-genre names there
are, the more you indicate that most good music/bands has/have its/their own
idiosyncrasies.

Chuck