Spacerock Glossary

Darrin McKeehen dmckeehen at HOTMAIL.COM
Tue Jun 13 18:24:31 EDT 2000

OK,OK,OK!

First off, I am not labelling any type of music or band or any of that crap.
Funny how I can know exactly what I mean, type it, read it, reread it, think
it's represents my thoughts well, reread it, spell check it, send it off and
then PLOW!

All I am looking for is definitions for the terms that I have seen used
numerous time to describe a bands sound, so that when I read a review of a
band that I have never heard before I know WTF the reviewer is talking
about. That's pretty concise and clear, isn't it?

I have no intention of pigeon holing a band by say they are "pooprock" or
whatever!

For example, when Keith says in his review of a new disc, that the band puts
a new bend on "stoner" rock. What does that mean? What is the musical
definition of "stoner" rock. I know what a stoner is, there's probably
plenty of us reading the list.

With the type of music that I am more familiar w/, I know  what  the term
means. Somebody else might not know what that term means. If they asked me
what the term "jamband" means or asked me to describe it, I would gladly
give them my best concept of the definition of that term. Then when they
were reading about a band and the term "jamband" was used they would know
WTF it meant.

Pretty simple actually.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Second off, if having one original or long time member of a band is not
enough to call the band by it's original name, then I guess according to
some of you Hawkwind is just a cover band and has been for many years. Dave
has been the only original member for years. He's even gone to the lengths
of assigning new titles to old songs, such as "Lives of Great Men" and "Do
That".

So if no one contests Scott Gorham using the name Thin Lizzy, I guess he
can. Sure some people may not like it, but only the hardcore fans are gonna
know "Gorham-Sykes" and that's probably not even enough to get the label
backing to put out a killer album of all original material. Unless, you are
a professional musician and have worked your ass of to make it, you may not
really know what that's like. The guys that have not made it, but have
worked there ass off trying probably know even more.

Also, I guess Robo could get Snowy White and some other top notch guys and
call themselves Thin Lizzy. Probably a lot less likely, but.....

Not sure what's happened to Brian Downey, but if he's still around, I guess
he could do the same. Wow! 3 Thin Lizzy bands! Then we could check all 3 out
and decide which one we like best.

Of course, I AM being a smartass ")

(Just a joke to show you how uptight you are being)

How many bands tour around w/ some type of use of the Hawkwind name, just
because they were in the band at one point. I don't think Gorham and Sykes
are pulling a Ginger Baker's Hawkwind here.

Maybe, these guys have a bunch of originals, and this is their way of
getting people's attention first before they unleash them. That makes sense
to me. Then they have an audience to play to and guaranteed record sales
that they can take to a label and keep on truckin'.

All I am saying is give them a chance and see what they do. Many bands have
done similar things and turned out to be pretty good.

Do you like King Crimson?

Case in point ")

Trance, drone, festi, stoner.....

Darrin