HW: cat among pigeons

Ductor, Dan [NEUUS] DDUCTOR at NEUUS.JNJ.COM
Tue Jun 13 19:11:58 EDT 2000

And wasn't Bob going to rejoin HW before his untimely death?

        -----Original Message-----
        From:   Tim Gadd [SMTP:lupercal at GEOCITIES.COM]
        Sent:   Tuesday, June 13, 2000 3:47 PM
        To:     BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU
        Subject:        Re: HW: cat among pigeons

        At 08:23 AM 6/13/00 -0500, Tom Clark wrote:
        >Too bad Bob felt that way, though he pretty much defined the HW
sound through
        >the Charisma years - but not before or after.

        Well, I dunno about that. He did coceive the Spce Ritual, and his
importance
        to In Search of Space is much greater than you'd glean from just
reading the
        album credits. I think he had as much to do with the definitive HW
'spirit'
        (as opposed to 'sound') as anyone did.

        As for his comments, I think perhaps with this much water under the
bridge,
        the subject is less topical tha it was, since thereis almost no
stigma at
        all attched to being a 70's cabaret act nowadays (not saying that's
what HW
        are, but if they were, they would get away with it). But FWIW, I do
agree
        with him in that to my mind, the real Hawkwind were a 70's group,
and I'd
        even cite their last essential LP as 'Quark', and their desmise as
the
        breakup on the 78 US tour, rather than the Hawklords album, which is
kind of
        a last death spasm, albeit with some memorable moments.

        That's not to say I haven't enjoyed 80's and 90's Hawkwind, but I
just don't
        regard them in the same way somehow...
        --
        Tim Gadd