HW: a couple more song charts

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Wed Jun 14 17:41:59 EDT 2000

Hi Kevin,

Thanks for the corrections!

On Wed, 14 Jun 2000 21:51:04 +0100, Kevin Perry <kevin.perry at VIRGIN.NET>
wrote:
>> DAMNATION ALLEY
>> ( - Brock - Calvert - House - )
>> A                                   E    D
>> I've got the serum and I'm going to take it
>
>Not quite - there's a strange A5 instead of the E (-022555 in bad tab) and
>the D is --4232.
>
>>"radiation wasteland" part:
>>A / / / C C / /
>
>A/A6 (-02220 / -04220)

There could easily be some other mistakes, since I was working that one out
on bass (I'm a crap guitarist) and did not verify chords on a keyboard.
I'll have to listen again to the actual recordings, but I seem to recall
the main riff to "Damnation Alley" sounding slightly different on the
'Palace Springs' version, so that might be where I got the A-E-D instead of
A-A5-D.

Also, in the course of this project, I verified that the original studio
versions of both "Master of the Universe" and "Urban Guerilla" are among
those songs recorded a half-step lower than later live versions (CYM '82
and Hawklords '78 versions, respectively).  I believe someone already
mentioned the saxophone theory?  Since Eb is a standard key for saxophones,
that would explain why most of the UA (Nik era) material was done a
half-step down.  It might also explain, since in '82 Hawkwind were playing
the songs in a "standard" guitar/bass key signature (E/A/etc.), why Nik's
sax playing frequently didn't "gel" with the rest of the band at that time
- because they were playing out-of-tune relative to his instrument!

Perhaps I should ask about this in the Open Forum with Dave?

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com