HW:OPEN FORUM WITH DAVE 2

DASLUD at AOL.COM DASLUD at AOL.COM
Thu Jun 15 07:29:00 EDT 2000

In a message dated 6/15/00 6:14:51 AM, lupercal at GEOCITIES.COM writes:

<<  but back in the 70's and
80's, HW were just an almost purely English/European phenomenon. >>
=====
um.....not _entirely_.
elstwise i wouldnt've heard of them.
heh.

i believe, 'cept for 'astounding sounds' [?], everything thru 'pxr 5' was
released in the states. and 'mtn. grill' climbed all the way up to #133 on
the BILLBOARD 'top 200'.
i'd assume the couple three previous had done better; i just happened to
follow that lp in BILLBOARD.

and i used to own a mono/stereo US promo single of 'urban guerrilla'. dont
recall ever hearing it on the radio [yeah right] but CREEM had mentioned its
withdrawal from the UK charts in '73.

so they werent _quite_ unknown or invisible until the end of the '70s....not
that you'd find too many folx who'd heard of them...that was _my_  'mission'
during the "lemmy era", earning me the nickname 'hawk' from a few friends.
no, really!

once, in '76, i saw a  kid leaving a record store, having purchased the 'space
 ritual' lp.
i asked him why he bought it and he said some friends told him it was like
'sabbath meets floyd'
=====
<<In 1984,
out of about 25 HW penfriends, I knew _one_ person in the USA, and he got
into HW because he found a HW cassette lying in the middle of the street,
and didn't even know who it was for years. Now the majority of this list
seems to be American. I know to a certain extent this is a reflection of
internet demographics, but it has to be more than that. 15 or 20 years ago I
just never heard of HW fans in America.
=====
lolol, comrade, you shoulda tried "25 years ago"....[or is that "25 years of
social research" ago?] or, "28 years ago"...oy...

but years had passed passed before the us release of 'pxr5' and the us
release of 'live chronicles' *

*i played side one and gave it away...heh...sorry, gang.

fellow yanks, feel free to contend that the early '80s lp's _were_ released
in the states, but i dont remember 'em...
'levitation', maybe?
====
too early to be floating away, today...
later for that.