HW:OPEN FORUM WITH DAVE 2

Tim Gadd lupercal at GEOCITIES.COM
Thu Jun 15 14:37:26 EDT 2000

At 07:29 AM 6/15/00 EDT, DASLUD at AOL.COM wrote:
>In a message dated 6/15/00 6:14:51 AM, lupercal at GEOCITIES.COM writes:
>
><<  but back in the 70's and
>80's, HW were just an almost purely English/European phenomenon. >>
>=====
>um.....not _entirely_.
>elstwise i wouldnt've heard of them.
>heh.
>
>i believe, 'cept for 'astounding sounds' [?], everything thru 'pxr 5' was
>released in the states. and 'mtn. grill' climbed all the way up to #133 on
>the BILLBOARD 'top 200'.

Well, true ('fact my LP of HOTMG is American), but it did much better than
#133 in the UK. Plus, selling x number of units in the US doesn't require
you to be as popular as selling the same number in the UK, so an album can
be released in the US even if only a much smaller % of the population is
going to buy it (atleast that makes sense to me. I have no idea if it
actually is/was the way things work/ed)

Bob also says on that '81 tape that, in terms of commercial success Hawkwind
were successful 'not at all, to any great extent, in the USA, except for
sort of major industrial towns like Detroit'

But hey, you live there :)

>i'd assume the couple three previous had done better; i just happened to
>follow that lp in BILLBOARD.
>
>and i used to own a mono/stereo US promo single of 'urban guerrilla'. dont
>recall ever hearing it on the radio [yeah right] but CREEM had mentioned its
>withdrawal from the UK charts in '73.

Well I've got an Australian single of 'Kings of Speed', but it wasn't
exactly a smash hit, y'know... ;)

>fellow yanks, feel free to contend that the early '80s lp's _were_ released
>in the states, but i dont remember 'em...
>'levitation', maybe?

For the record, everything, including the compilations, was released in
Australia, up to and including Levitation (except 'Repeat Performance' was
called 'Rock Legends') After that, there was a gap till 'Xenon Codex', and I
don't know of any since, though my knowledge of 90's HW releases is not strong.
--
Tim Gadd
Hobart, Tasmania