HW: question for MR. BROCK

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Thu Jun 15 16:27:16 EDT 2000

On Thu, 15 Jun 2000 05:30:08 EDT, DASLUD at AOL.COM wrote:
>anyway....
>the (ahem) grateful dead have been releasing a series called, i think,
>'dick's picks';
>entire shows of theirs considered to be exceptional. i believe the series is
>to continue despite the passing of 'dick' last year.
>would you consider doing anything analogous to this series?

Isn't this supposed to be the idea behind the "Collector Series" on
Voiceprint?  The 'Glastonbury 90' one *is* an excellent show, despite the
occasional canine interruption.  I'd love to hear more recordings like
those from festivals where the band has been able to "stretch out" and jam
more than in the average tour set.  The segment I've heard from the end of
the Stonehenge 83(?) set (w/Nik & Dead Fred) is pretty outstanding.

>edmonton 26/1/74 would be my first choice. seeing as three tracks had been
>[doctored and] released from that show, the entire show must [?] exist.
>attractions would include a 10-minute "it's so easy", an 8-minute "paradox"
>[they became the released versions] and a rare '74 appearance by mr. Calvert.
>ah, dont worry that mr. House's parts had been dubbed in the studio at the
>time....leave 'em off!

I, too, would love to hear this one released in its entirety!  (I'd have to
say preferably with Simon House's parts, if possible, but I certainly
wouldn't complain about the show being released in any shape or form.)
Unfortunately, I would suspect that this one would have the same problem as
the aborted 'Greasy Truckers Party' installment of the Collectors Series.
As I understand it, EMI owns the tapes, so any release would have to be
through (or licensed from) them.

>and while it's true my main interest is the 'lemmy era',

True for the majority, I'm sure.  Unfortunately, I'd fear that any *good*
quality tapes from that era are owned by EMI (but hey, at least they gave
us 'The 1999 Party' so I'm not complaining!), so anything else that could
come out would likely be of 'Yuri Gagarin' quality.

But then again, if stuff of that quality *is* going to be released, better
for Dave Brock to profit from it than Dave Anderson!

>there's no doubt
>many shows from other eras/lineups which could be released....perhaps BOC-L
>folx could suggest other shows you might release in the same manner.

'Greasy Truckers Party' and 'Atomhenge 76'!  :^)

Why is it that the two installments of the Collector Series that I was
looking forward to the most were the ones that have been cancelled?  Oh
well, I'm still eagerly anticipating the reissues of the Weird Tapes ...
lots of good 76-78 stuff on those (the Hawklords version of "Urban
Guerilla" has been my fave Hawkwind-related recording this week)!

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com

(Man, it MUST be frustrating trying to get a reunion together when, on one
hand, you have Lemmy, who won't do it without megabucks and first-class
airplane tickets, and on the other hand, you have Nik, who will play to
anybody, anytime, for a song ... talk about contrasts!)