HW:OPEN FORUM WITH DAVE 2

XXX boclist at HWIND.GLOBALNET.CO.UK
Thu Jun 15 17:12:03 EDT 2000

----- Original Message -----
From: Paul Mather <paul at GROMIT.DLIB.VT.EDU>
To: <BOC-L at LISTSERV.SPC.EDU>
Sent: Thursday, June 15, 2000 12:11 AM
Subject: HW:OPEN FORUM WITH DAVE 2

> Thank you for hosting another "open forum."  It is much appreciated!
>
> Here are a couple of queries:
>
> 1) Do you prefer creating new music in the studio, or playing live in
>    front of an audience (which gives you the most creative
>    satisfaction)?

Both

> 2) Do you see yourself as a composer or a performer nowadays (kind of
>    a related question)?

Both

> 3) Who chooses what back catalogue (e.g., vintage live recordings) to
>    release?  Is there a lot of existing material to choose from?

I do sometimes, other times record companies just churn out a load of old
crap and I don't know what's going on, they never contact us asking our
opinion.

> 4) Can you make it easier for non-UK people to partake in the Hawkwind
>    Passport programme?  (Maybe nominating a US-based "notary" to
>    handle the folks in the US?)

It should be easy for non UK people to get i8n touch with us here. What are
the problems?

> 5) Do all the sequencers stifle improvisation in a live setting?  (If
>    so, can that be negated by having more folks on stage?)

No they don't stifle, artists should be able to accomadate them, I find it
easy to play with them and improvise.

> 6) Will you ever play "It's So Easy" again?  (Okay, so it's my favourite
>    Hawkwind song...:)

I'm sorry, but I doubt it.

> 7) Given the huge popularity of the Space Ritual-era material in fan
>    polls, have you ever considered incorporating more of that sound/
>    vibe in shows nowadays?

Well we do.

> 8) [And most importantly...] Why don't you play more guitar??

Because I enjoy playing the synthesiser. I don't suffer from arthritis,
maybe lazyitis!