Clarke's SF books

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Mon Jun 19 07:11:09 EDT 2000

[reading SF....]

DaveB writes:

> I read Return to Rendevous with Rama by Arthur C Clark, recently and I
> thought that it was a load of old crap although the first one was good.
>  Rendevous with Rama)

Yep. I used to be a big enough Clarke fan (particularly his short
stories) that I took the risk of doing my English Higher section based
on him rather than the "literary" stuff (I did OK). However he seemed to
lose interest in writing good SF after "Imperial Earth" with maybe
"Songs of Distant Earth" as a minor exception. I'd always expected
"Rendezvous With Rama" to become an SF film once the tech was up to
doing it (about now) but I figure that the sequels are so purely awful
that this won't ever happen.

FoFP [Recommendation: Ken MacLeod's SF books, though I'll declare
      the interest that he buys me pints regularly]