Clarke's SF books

Denis Regenbrecht denis at D-RIDER.DE
Mon Jun 19 10:34:24 EDT 2000

Hi,

M Holmes wrote:

>Yep. I used to be a big enough Clarke fan (particularly his short
>stories) that I took the risk of doing my English Higher section based
>on him rather than the "literary" stuff (I did OK). However he seemed to
>lose interest in writing good SF after "Imperial Earth" with maybe
>"Songs of Distant Earth" as a minor exception. I'd always expected
>"Rendezvous With Rama" to become an SF film once the tech was up to
>doing it (about now) but I figure that the sequels are so purely awful
>that this won't ever happen.

I totally agree with you. (Although "Fountains of Paradise" wasn't bad)
The last books he (co-)wrote were really dire. The problem IMHO is, that
nowadays he only writes the online of the plot and lets other people (that
Gentry Lee for example, who should have stayed with NASA and not become a
SF-author) add the flesh around the bones. If he wants to do it that way,
he should at least collaborate with authors who can write interesting.

>FoFP [Recommendation: Ken MacLeod's SF books, though I'll declare
>       the interest that he buys me pints regularly]

I'll give them a try. "The Cassini Division" will be released as paperback
in August.

(C)IAO

                 D+R