OFF: Sci-Fi Authors (was: Re: Clarke's SF books)

Doug Pearson ceres at SIRIUS.COM
Mon Jun 19 14:18:33 EDT 2000

On Mon, 19 Jun 2000 16:01:46 +0100, M Holmes <fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK> wrote:
>Some scientists do write good SF. Just look at Robert Forward's stuff
>for example.

Rudy Rucker, a mathematics professor at San Jose State University, is a
favorite of mine.  Supposedly his academic math writings are very good,
too, but his science fiction has lots of great ideas and a fantastic sense
of humor.  His "-ware" series takes the "I, Robot" concept(s) to several
new levels ...

And, on Mon, 19 Jun 2000 18:29:55 +0200, Denis Regenbrecht
<denis at D-RIDER.DE> wrote:
>I can't stand Heinlein. His
>pseudo-philosophical ("Starship Troopers" is the best example) babble and
>his right-wing-propaganda spoils most of his books for me.

One of the things I liked the most about the 'Starship Troopers' movie was
the way it smirkingly-ridiculed Heinlein's right-wing views with its'
way-over-the-top "friendly fascism".  Possibly one of the best "B" movies
based on "pulp" sci-fi ever made ...

I find it ironic that 'Stranger in a Strange Land' became a hippie bible,
since its' situation/ethics are far more 50's 'Playboy' than truly "free"
love (if there is/ever was such a thing).  People I knew who met him later
in his life said that he was the ultimate "dirty old man".

But then again, most "egalitarian" hippie/commune situations in the 60's
weren't that more advanced than Hefner's 50's fantasies, anyway (the MC5
house in Ann Arbor, MI, being a prime example ... the photo of Michael
Davis balling a groupie while a fresh-faced Fred Smith looks on says it all).

>The best SF-books ever written IMHO are the "Dune" Chronicles by Frank
>Herbert and a lot of Roger Zelaznys work, especially "Lord of Light".

I really enjoyed 'Lord of Light'.  This is probably one of the few forums
where I can get away without being flamed (or maybe not, given some of this
weekends messages) for saying that the anti-Xtian sentiments in that book
strongly appeal to the (non-millitant, but damn-opinionated!) atheist in me.

        -Doug
         ceres at sirius.com