OFF: SF books

Arin Komins akomins at MIDWAY.UCHICAGO.EDU
Tue Jun 20 11:55:31 EDT 2000

On Tue, 20 Jun 2000, Michael S. Habiby wrote:

:Subject: OFF: RE: Clarke's SF books
:
:My dos centavos
:
:I have been reading SF since I was in 5th grade, maybe earlier. (38 now)  I
:love the old generation.. Asimov. Clark. Heinlein (especially his hippie
:dippie days with free love and transdimensionalism).  The older gen is
:great.. but keeping up with the newer authors is more refreshing to me.
:
:I would like to share three authors I just love and recommend all their
:works.  Neal Stephenson, Julian May and Jack Chalker.  Neal is of the Bruce
:Sterling school whereas Jack is all over the map from hard space opera to
:silly fantasy. Julian you just have to experience to understand.

imho, Jack Chalker's best was the alice in wonderland trilogy.
His new(er) books (the two new well world books, priams' lens) have been
disappointing.

yet more in the "sf folks are reading" thread:

I've been addicted to L.E. Modesitt's SF (not his fantasy!) for awhile.
He does fairly interesting (imho) work that is .... strongly ecologically
focused.  His fantasy is ok, with the recluce books being an interesting
riff on order/chaos conflict, but the spellsong cycle is just dreadful.

I've been dying to get a copy of MM's _King of the City_, but it's not
out on this side of the pond yet.

I'm also addicted to Robert Holdstock's stuff.  very jungian.  I'm
anxiously awaiting his new one.

more addictions:

Tim Powers.  His _Last Call_ was rather good, and his new one _Declare_
promises to be better than that.  It's due in this month.

Zelazny.  Alas, but I really wish I could look forward to his next one :(
:( :(.  I mourned his passing.

Steve Brust.  *great* fluff and very zelaznyan.

Alan Dean Foster. guilty pleasure, but I really do enjoy his
commonwealth books.  ...and his alternate fantasy travel stuff
(the ones based on random peoples he's met in his travels...particularly
the journey of the catechist books) are quite good.

Arin
Arin Komins                            akomins at midway.uchicago.edu
Web Systems Administrator
University of Chicago/NSIT                      tel: (773)834-4087
1155 E. 60th St. #302B Chicago, IL 60637        fax: (773)702-0559