OFF: Clarke's SF books

Richard Lockwood rich-l at GEOCITIES.COM
Wed Jun 21 04:05:25 EDT 2000

> ....now, I've always liked the Smiths, circa Queen is Dead and Hatful of
Hollow.
> And The Silmarillion has become my favorite Tolkien--it has a certain
scope and
> grandeur. Don't understand all the slagging that book is getting (it is a
> harder, more demanding read), though I can certainly appreciate the
slagging
> the Smiths get. As some critic once said, you're perfectly within your
rights
> to hate the Smiths...
>
> However, I take it that you mean May is awful. Could you be more specific?
If
> it is poorly written or conceived, then, how so?

I tried to like her - I really did, but when her books are so badly written,
inconsistant and aspire to that ghastly concept, the 'fantasy epic' (ah -
and just very dull), it's difficult.  Mind you, it was a long time ago -
maybe I'll try again.

And I like that critic - who was it?
:-)

Cheers,