more reccomendation request

Thu Jun 22 02:39:05 EDT 2000

Ofra Haza made some fine records but sadly died young, if that's what you're
asking?

Try Natacha Atlas - any of her three solo albums, but if I have to pick one,
then HALIM.  Some Western dance influences, but bang up to the minute
Maghreb dance music too.

Chris Karrer (of Amon Duul II) has travelled widely in Egypt and Turkey, and
as a result has made some great ME-tinged solo albums in recent years;
SUFISTICATED would be my pick of them (in spite of the title).

Then of course you can take the leap and actually buy some real
Middle-Eastern music. ;)  There's a couple of good starting points,
comppilations of popular music from all around the Arab world, in EMI's
Hemispheres list; SIF SAFAA and CAMELSPOTTING.

Then get thee to Morocco or Egypt and just buy loads of cheap tapes from
market stalls!

-- Andy

mailto:Andy.Gilham at btinternet.com; http://www.andy.gilham.btinternet.co.uk