Xenon Codex

Thu Jun 22 18:34:14 EDT 2000

IN my opinion, the remaster of 'Xenon Codex' has made a difference to the
sound quality and overall performance of the album, but because I get
through CD players like hot dinners, I've not had the opportunity to do a
comparison on really good equipment. But there was a significant improvement
to 'Live '79' and IITBOTFTOD, less so for 'Levitation' but the original mix
on that was quite flat so I guess they couldn't have done much to improve
it, and I reckon that those repackaged remasters are worth getting if yuo're
listening on good equipment - anyone else care to chip in on this one?
Andy Garibaldi.
 Which leads me again to a question I've asked before now - did the recent
Castle "remaster" and repackage of its material actually improve this
situation? I have never dared buy it, because several people seemed to say
when this bunch came out that they could hear no difference - but XC has to
be second in line after _Doremi_ on any list of Hawkwind albums which as
originally issued really needed remastering, and 'd really like to be able
to hear it after such a treatment. On the other hand, I don't
want two copies of identical music. Anyone in a position to answer this