German Hawkfan gathering

Andreas Stuewe Andreas.Stuewe at T-ONLINE.DE
Fri Jun 23 14:27:38 EDT 2000

SHLL (Scott Heller) schrieb:
> Tower of Electric Onions started things off with a 90m set of space rock with
> a little funk and jazz.. Nik joined them for the last 30 minutes.

They sounded to my ears a bit like Caravan, Soft Machine and/or Guru Guru. I
wouldn´t call it space rock. And it wasn´t that cold on friday. Anyway, ToEO
were the right band to start the festival whilst lying in the sun.

> Sloterdyk played a cool 1 hour set of solo space rock..

He was quite good on guitar, but the f***ing drum machine was getting on my
nerves after awhile. This guy should get himself a band together.

> Liquid Visions replaced the now broken up Lord Brain and really rocked the
> place. Nik joined them for the last 20 minutes of the 80m set.

Liquid Visions played some heavy 60´s styled psych rock with real songs and some
extended jamming. Their version of "Magic Potion" really rocked. Master of the
Universe with Nik was about 10 min too long IMO.

> The Psuedo Sun played at 1 for the rest of the drunk folks and rocked for 86
> minutes. Santtu and myself played synths with the band.. It was a lot of fun.

NO, I wasn´t drunk! Only 6 bottles of beer. Pseudo Sun´s set was great, all
original songs, no covers, a real tight band. And DarkSanttu´s your synth
swooshes helped a lot for some fantastic spacey music. Luckily Nik didn´t join
you on stage. He was so stoned out of his mind that he forgot to get up of his
couch.

>         Saturday, the music started with Liquid Zoo, who were more
> garage.psych rock... Ok band..

Agreed.

> Das Weeth experience was next and played a
> sort of dreamy.neil young type music with the guitar player using feedback
> and effects in an interesting way.. pretty cool...

This kind of music is good for one´s ears. Nothing special, but great for a
festival.

> Harvey Bainbridge played
> a 40m set with nik and Mr.Dibs helping out on bass, flute, sax and synths..
> This was really spaced out and excellent! Then the SPacehead band joined and
> most of their original material was really pretty cool, especially the slow
> numbers. They have too many Bedoiuin-Motorhead like numbers that sound to
> similar... Harvey and Nik played the whole set.. They did some HW numbers
> like Green Finned Demon, Golden Void, Brainstorm, Masters of the Universe,
> the worst version ever of Silver Machine..... They had a very inexperienced
> young drummer who was quite bad,.. changing time all the time and loosing
> track of where he was.. The guitar player for spacehead also had a horrible
> guitar sound.. way too much treble... the crowd really dug these guys and
> they were really good for the first 80 or 90 minutes and then it went down
> hill. Trev Thoms joined them on acoustic guitar and was quite out of it
> having trouble even tuning the damn thing.. Added a very strange element to
> the HW tunes..  They played 2.5 hours!

I couldn´t get into this set. It was played too amateurish for my ears. Only the
synths were brilliant. And Harvey is a nice person.
It was not a good ending for such a great festival. Anyway, it was a fantastic
weekend and I´m sure I will be there next year again for the 5th time.

Andreas