HW: Space Bandits

flossbac flossbac at NLCI.COM
Mon Jun 26 21:50:32 EDT 2000

I rather like all those songs on Xenon Codex that people have been
complaining about.  I think "The War I Survived" is actually among HW's best
songs... even DT's terrible drumming actually works on this song because it
sounds very metronomic, almost like a drum machine, and really accents
things a lot.  And the lead guitar on "Lost Chronicles" is possibly my
favorite guitar solo by anyone ever!  Huw could certainly pull off some
amazing pieces sometimes.

I liked Space Bandits right from the start when it came out.  I don't mind
Bridgett's vocals a bit, although I'm not sure she could sing very well live
(but then hey, neither can anyone in HW except Dave).

IITBOTFTBD  has what I consider to be Richard's ideal drum production
sound.....either this album or The Business Trip, anyway.  I wish they'd go
with that production sound on the drums forever!  Electric Tepee had pretty
crappy drum production with those big Rock Reverbs on the snare etc....it
just sounds a bit contrived and silly.

John Majka