Fwd: OFF: Ritual of the Solstice/stonehenge

M Holmes fofp at HOLYROOD.ED.AC.UK
Tue Jun 27 09:02:35 EDT 2000

david hall writes:

> The problem with the Stonehenge festival is that it got too big. I think
> that the last one in 84 had 60000 at it. Although some hung around  to clear
> up afterwards they could do a cosmetic operation only. The festival was fun,
> but, if I'm honest I wouldn't like a free festival of that size and duration
> round the corner from me. A small scale one okay but not that size. The
> woods were full of human shit and the local rivers turned into latrines (the
> site was a paradise compared to the woods), a lot of the locals had real
> problems with thefts from gardens etc etc. A victim of it's own success
> perhaps.

Plus there was just about open warfare between drug dealers going on. I
had a great time in '84 but I could see at the time that things were so
out of control that the authorities would be forced to do something.

> Even members of Hawkwind said they wouldn't loke to be in the
> local's shoes. I've just finished watching Glastonbury on the TV, too big
> and too mainstream.

At the main stages maybe. Things are still pretty mellow up in the Green
fields.

> Gong featured in the soundtrack to the Michael Eavis
> documentary

One incarnation of them also played the Avalon stage.

FoFP