Xenon Codex

Tue Jun 27 19:47:10 EDT 2000

On Mon, 26 Jun 2000, Andrew Apold wrote:

> >What does everyone think of Space Bandits?  No one has
> >brought that one up yet.  And does anyone know what
> >became of Bridget?

        She was at the Whirlwind gig in Bath last year, wasn't she? So
presumably she's still alive and in touch. I like Bridget's style -
having someone who genuinely sounds like an alien on vocals definitely did
something positive for the force of Hawkwind's otherworldliness. On the
other hand, if you were expecting music :-) She really can't sing. When
she doesn't try is when she's best - much like Bob in some ways.

> I liked Bridget's vocals, never heard her live, though.

        Well, I haven't got any studio stuff with her one, because when I
asked Carl Anderson about _Space Bandits_ many years ago, his opinion was
that though a large number of songs on it have been absolutely blistering
live, the actual album was in all ways pants. The _California Brainstorm_
versions of `TV Suicide' and `Images' are both good, I think, particularly
the former, and `Out of the Shadows' is incredible. The version of `Wings'
Bedouin have been performing this last two years is marvellous. You'd
think with that material and that line-up it couldn't go wrong. Yet BOC-L
as a whole is less than happy with it. What failed to happen, any
ideas? Yours,
              Jon

ObCD: Electric Orange - _Electric Orange_ (bonus CD)
--
 |  Jon Jarrett (01223 741219)           jjarrett at chiark.greenend.org.uk
 | "Zeron Gamma Two continuum entropy control parameters - AFFIRMATIVE!" |